Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:08 PM   #1
Default G3 Rant - focus issues

I got rid of my "perfect" G2 for a G3. The G2 was flawless except I wanted the 3 minute movie capability vs the 30 seconds of the G2.

Well, what a mistake. The G3 is so horribly slow in focusing the a large percentage of my "candids" (mostly of my grandchildren) are constantly out of focus. NEVER had this problem with the G2.

I resigned myself to the fact that ANY digital camera will be slower then a film camera (causing me to miss lots of "smiles" and precious moments). I can live with that. However the constant misfocus REALLY has me annoyed. I even sent the camera back to Canon. Of course (after LOSING IT for 10 days - which is another story) they found nothing wrong with it. Using the same CF card as in the G2, so the card isn't the issue, it's the camera for sure.

I'm afraid to buy another camera.

I shudda kept the damned G2. I also see similar problems with the Nikon 5700.
EdFeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:55 AM   #2

I agree completely. Another complaint I have is that the reviewers never say anything about this. There reviews read like the camera companies brochures.
cnw4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 7:06 PM   #3

Do you have continuous focus turned on for these candids? I have found that continuous focus does not work well for candids becuase the camera continously attempts to adjust the focus as the camera shifts.

If you can live with the lag... try turning continuous focus off and then push the shutter down half way to obtain focus lock for these candids.

I've never owned a G2 but the G3 has been a great step-up from the Canon S30 that I've used in the past.

Best of luck to you.
rkuite is offline   Reply With Quote