Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:50 PM   #1

I was able to secure a brand new, never opened Canon S2 for $400 from a friend of a friend online. I was pretty stoked about the deal, so I purchased it, and received it this morning. The camera is taking some pretty great pics so far, I am pleased with it at this moment in time.

However, I have a couple of questions that I can't figure out.

1.) I cannot get the camera into super macro mode. I have followed the instructions in the manual, which state you need to press the macro button once to get into macro mode, then again to get into super macro mode. The manual shows which shooting modes that super macro is available in (Av, Tv, M, C, amog a couple others), so I'll go into one of these modes, pull the zoom all the way in to obtain maximum wide angle, and still cannot get into super macro mode. The macro button is basically just working like an on an off switch at the moment, never going into super macro mode.

What am I doing wrong?

2.) I've been reading up on some of the tutorials over at photoxels.com, as they've been a great help to a novice like me understand what things like aperture and ISO is. From what I've been reading, when using a fast shutter speed, you'll want to open the aperture as large as possible to let all the light in that you can in the split second for that shot. With the S2, I'm only able to go to 1/1600 with the aperture set at max (f/2.7). In order to get a faster shutter, I have to reduce the aperture, eventually getting 1/3200 at somewhereof f/8 or whatever the max is. I'm of the understanding that this isn't optimal, or even usable for that matter. Hell, even shooting with a shutter speed of 1/1600 at f/2.7 produces a completely black picture in a decently lit room.

Is this just a limitation of the camera? Or am I doing something wrong? I've been doing everything at ISO 50. Would raising the ISO help with this situation? I'm not sure that I'll ever need to shoot at such fast speeds like 1/3200, but it seems kind of pointless to offer such a wide range of shutter speeds when they aren't even useable.

Thanks for answering the questions.
blurredvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:37 AM   #2

Howdy Blurred

A mistake in the manual - hold button down for a few secs till icon changes to "s" in flower on your screen.

A few help links for the S2

An example pic where higer shutter can be used

1/2500s f7.1 ISO50

Cheers Dom
Attached Images
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 7:11 AM   #3

I had the same problem with super-macro. It turns out the S2 manual is wrong. To get super-macro - press and hold the macro button in, and the super macro mode will appear. Pressing it individually will, as you say, just act as an on and off switch. I'm amazed Canon havent yet corrected this glaring error in the manual!
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote