Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 17, 2006, 9:48 PM   #41

Well, I bought the A610. Got it today. I may not be too enthused yet..yet.

Its way too contrasty so far, but read about a lower contrast and color preset i'll try tomorrow.
EddieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 6:46 PM   #42

I have had my A610 for a while now - no problems, except that it keeps needing me to change the batteries.

The funny thing is, I am using Energizer NiMH 2500 batteries, and they for some reason don't last very long in the A610 (only a few hours of light use, no flash, over 3 days). The other batteries do even worse. I tried new sets of fully charged Energizer NiMH 2500s, but get around the same results.

I also noticed a similar problem in the Pentax Optio 60 I used to own, where brand new Duracell Ultras died well within 1 day of usage, with no flash used. I later found out that the "depleted" Duracell Ultras were still 70 percent full.

Perhaps there may be some internal issues with the A610 ?

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 7:05 PM   #43

I have had my A610 since last January and taken nearly 3,000 pictures with it so far. Not a single power up problem and battery life can't be any better. Strange problem you are having with the batteries. My battery life estimate is around 350 pictures with a set of regular alkaline batteries (plain jane alkalines Duracell or Energizer, not ultra or the other advertising stuff), around 300 with a set of 1400 mAh rechargeables I still have from my previous camera and around 450 pictures from the same 2500 mAh Energizers you also have.That's using the LCD most of the time and in a wide variety of shooting conditions from daytime with fill flash, to indoor or night photography with flash to night photography without flash.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:10 PM   #44

Well, after the third time at the Canon repair facility, I am happy to report that the problem has been fixed. Again, just as with another post on this site, the changed the board.

I recommend that anyone with this problem be very persistent with Canon since they do not want to admit to the problem and will try to send the camera back to you as "cleaned".

To answer another question posted here, I bought the camera at Staples.
m.anonimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:01 AM   #45

I purchased two of the A610 cameras in December 2005 as Christmas presents for my family members. I also purchased two sets of Energiser NiMh batteries, chargers, and memory cards - all identical.

One of the cameras has experienced the power up problem, and the other has been fine. I eventually returned the faulty camera to the shop today (JB HiFi in Sydney) and they willingly accepted it for return to Canon.

The symptoms I had were almost as described. Leave it powered off for some time,and it may not come back on when the power button is pressed. I felt it was time relayed but it happened on Saturday, during use. I switched off, then maybe 30 minutes later tried to power on, and it failed. The open/close of the battery cover fixed it. This happened twice on the day.

Hopefully mine will get fixed also.
ajw is offline   Reply With Quote