Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:03 PM   #1
Default ISO 400 Noise S45 vs S400 vs S230

The one issue I have with the S230 is image noise at ISO 400. I don't see sample pics at ISO 400 for comparison, in the reviews (here or elsewhere). (Same for the review of the S400). The S400 appears to have the same CCD, and a similar lens to the S45. Do they have similar noise performance?

I can gain optical zoom with the S400 vs the S230, which is nice. But I am most concerned with ISO 200 & ISO 400 noise improvement. It appears to me with the larger lens diameter of the S400 (vs. the S230) that the resulting voltage signal from the CCD would be greater (although the pixel count increase may mitigate that some). If the A/D conversion has similar noise performance, then the ISO 400 quality should be improved, I would think, for the S400. I know it may not be that simple. However this noise issue is a key comparison, if you aren't concerned with large prints or digital zoom. Anyone can shed some light on whether the S400 gives improvement? What about the S45? Is it better than either Elph in the ISO 400 noise? Should I consider an S30? I have heard it has low noise due to the larger pixels with the same total light energy, and also an ISO 800 setting. Any specific reasons (hardware comparisons, test results, personal opinion) greatly appreciated.
timhogan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2003, 6:46 AM   #2
Default ISO 400 Noise S45 vs S400 vs S230

I can only say, for having tested them, that S30 and S45 provide the best level of noise I've ever seen.
S45 has a better resolution (many details in pictures), a better focusing... but less good colors
Colors are more dull, and general aspect is darker in outdoors conditions (Auto mode).
I hope it would help you.

Shepherd (France)
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote