Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:07 AM   #1

I'm a bit confused about the Auto Rotation function of my PS Pro1 camera. I've noticed that switching this function on in the SetUp menu this will not only add right orientation info into the Orientation Field in EXIF BUT ALSO that the embedded thumb in EXIF is stored in line with the orientation info. This means that, when the camera was used clockwise or counter clockwise, the thumb isstored differend than the actual image.

I was wonder if this conclusion is right and if so, if other CANON and non CANON camera's do have the same approach.

When correct, this approach can result into a lot of confusion.

Hans Smits
Hans Smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

I just became a Canon user after purchasing a Powershot A610. I have noticed that the orientation is indeed stored in the EXIF info and that the thumbnail corresponds to actual orientation as well. However the image itself is not rotated. The actual rotation is done during download by cam2PC which is the program I use for downloading. Haven't given a try to the Canon software yet.

About other manufacturers, this camera replaced a Kodak DX4330 which died recently. This camera also has orientation sensor but it does the rotation in-camera. When I download the pictures, they were already rotated to the correct orientation and no rotation was needed at download time.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote