Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:04 PM   #1

Question regarding S2 Battery life. How many shots should a good set of rechargeables get out of this camera. I am trying to deduce if I have a battery issue. I only got about 134 shots on a set of rechargeables when other places I have read stated you should be able to get 300 of the cam.

Bare in mind a few factors:

-I used the LCD screen for the better part of the first 60 or so

-A flash was used for about 10 shots

-I reviewed my photos on camera for a total of maybe 10 minutes

-I transfered the photos to the computer which took about 5

So, the shots I get about average or should I have certainly expected more?

(SIDE NOTE: The batteries that came with the cam died about 20 shots in. Two other sets on none rechargers bit the dust after maybe 40 shots.)

I got one day left before I can exchange the cam for another so if anybody could chirp in ASAP regarding this it would be great.
MrGarmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:48 PM   #2

Weighing everything up about how many shots you took, flash and lcdused and time spent preveiwing and downloading etc I would say this is pretty average and you don't have a battery problem.

Also temperature can have a big effect on battery life. If it's very cold the batteries will die much sooner than if it's warm. I have previously myself changed batteries on the S2 that have died when outside in very cold weather (freezing point and below) and when back indoors just warmed them in my pocket for a while then put them back in camera and taken more shots with them.

Hope this helps regards
airedaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:52 PM   #3

The S2 has one of the best battery lifes out there. You did ALOT, would you expect more out of batteries ?
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:49 PM   #4

Hi MrG. With my S2, I've gotten over 300 photos over a matter of weeks, plus a fair bit of video, and playback of the video. That was a mix of probably 20% flash, LCD brightness set to high, and used for probably 50% of the photos. So your battery life seems somewhat short to me.

That being said, I'm using 2500mAh batteries, and they've been through a number of charge/use cycles, so they're in good form.

Are your rechargables older NiCad or NiMH? And if they're newer NiMH,what mAh are they? Many times, the older NiMH or 'fast charge' ones are about 1800mAh.

Sorry this reply is so far past your 'deadline', but hopefully it will be at least somewhat helpful.
Daniloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:49 PM   #5

I use the 2500mAh's too.. I get on average 350 shots without flash.. about 2/3 that with lots of flash. A lot of power ups and downs, and I take the card out for transferring.

I got about that many with the orginal set that came with the cam.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:28 PM   #6

HI all,

I have a sset of 2500mAh and another set of 2700mAh, which the 2700mAh last like forever. I am still playing around with the camera settings, with / without flash and its lasting more than I expected.

(2500mAh = 350shots, 2700mAh = 500-550shots)

To the point is, get the 2700mAh batteries and you wont be disappointed!

Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:57 PM   #7

NiMH batteries are very sensitive to low temperatures. In the summer I get 400 shots from one set of batteries. In the winter I get less than half. Also new batteries need about 3-5 charge cycles to reach peak capacity. Finally, only a good charger, which controls each battery separately, yields maximum capacity and life time.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:57 PM   #8

I think a lot has to do with the brand of the batteries and particularly, the charger. I have bought several brands (batteries and charges) and my experience has been very disappointing with most of them. The best IMO is the POWEREX 2500 (made in Japan)with the Maha charger. Theykeep thecharge foralong, long time, whether you usethem or not.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote