Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:38 AM   #1

Hi there! I have a Canon S1 IS that is of course outside of the Canon warranty and I didn't get an extended warranty on it. While in the middle of taking pics my camera's red light (on the back above the menu button) suddenly started to blink and then turned off. At first I thought it was that it was low battery power (I use PowerEX Nimh rechargeables) and just changed batteries. I was able to take a few more pictures and then the same thing happened. I replaced the batteries yet again and the same thing happened even when I used just recently fully charged ones.

I thought that perhaps my batteries had gone bad and tried regular AA batteries (brand new) and I could not get the camera to turn on. I was able to get the red light to blink and could hear the lens mechanism start to move, but could not get it to turn on (to take pics). The camera does work to view pictures. Somewhere along the way I noticed an Exx message on the screen. I think it said E16, but it blinked so quickly that I'm not sure if it was or not.

Now I am unable to get it to display any messages and am afraid I might be stuck with an expensive CF card pic viewer. All I could find through the internet is info about the E18 error. I tried the basic "fixes" of canned air and hooking it up to the VCR inputs, but nothing helps turn the camera part on. And it doesn't seem worth it to pay Canon $150 to look at it, but not necessarily fix it....so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
StarFilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links