Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Default graduating from digital to digital slr

I have been using point and shoot digital cams, til my latest which is a Dimage 7, I am now deciding to buy a Canon which when you buy it is classed as body only...and I need to buy the lenses to go with it.

Everyone has to start somewhere with the learning of what is the best (but not necessarily most expensive), and I dont know squat...but I bet there is a so many people who do.

Could someone tell me an example of what would be a basic set of lenses, that I dont have to take out a mortgage to buy but I can take birds flying...and similiar. I appreciate any help anyone cares to give.
patriciaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:52 PM   #2

Unless your buying the Canon 1Ds with a full size C-MOS sensor, all other Canon digital SLR'S have a 1.5X tele-conversion effect on all the lenses, because the CCD's or C-MOS aren't full frame. Wide angle therefore get's expensive because a normal 28-80 MM lens now becomes a 42-120 MM lens effectively. However this is good news for you if you want good zoom, look @ the 75-300 MM IS USM which would be 150-450 MM on the SLR. That len's sell's for $799 CND, but with that much zoom you need the image stabilization or a tripod. The 28-105 MM USM lens is also a pretty good wide angle for a good price, or the 28-135 IS USM. Hope that's a start.
Troy From Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:09 AM   #3

Look in your post in the general (or was it newbie?) forum. I put an answer there.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote