Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:46 PM   #11

Image quality looks no better than S2, and chroma noise has jumped. This is still the same size sensor with more mp's. Even if it is improved technology, it's really not an improvement from the samples I have seen. Too many mp's on too small sensor regardless of improvements to the sensor.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:02 PM   #12

Yes.. I think I feel a little bit disappointed about the sensor being the same size. I was swaying between the A610 and S2 for this reason.. But the zoom, etc.. boosted my choice.

Nothing else other than the increase in MP suggest the noise could be reduced by a large amount. This will ultimatly be my secondary camera (in the market for an SLR), so I think jumping the gun, returning my S2 and waiting 3 months+ isn't worth it.

As far as I can tell by the photos, looks like the same lense cap.

UA lense.. that's the same with the S2.. correct?

movie snap.. neat feature I guess.. Or did they just rename what the S2 is capable of?

16:9 widescreen.. dunno.. not really a priority for me on a camera.

Wonder what the Canadian retail on it will be?.. not yet on their site. This years new Sony models were cheaper than last.. Thus the replacement model for an older model was actually cheaper than the previous one.

The black color does look more appealing, but as someone mentioned ages ago.. In the sun, I think the silver would be nicer.. Personal preferance I guess.

Oh.. the lcd.. .2" larger... ok.. bummer they didn't go larger..lol At LEAST they didn't remove the viewfinder as another manufactuer has gone. ugh

vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:48 AM   #13

Be assured your $500 bought the best camera in its price range. I owned the panasonics and kodaks and neither gave me what the s2 does--clarity, speed, and amazing video--not to mention the s2 was the only one to focus on the moon. Other than spending several hundred dollars on lenses, the s2 does what it should, give me 11 x 14 crystal clear pics that no other camera I bought can do. Go well and be confident that Canon is still the BEST.
zip37602 is offline   Reply With Quote