Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2003, 6:11 PM   #1
Default S400 9 Point AiAf vs. Center Focus

I just got my first Digital a S400. It has this 9 point "Artificial Intelligence Autofocus". It also has a "Center AF Frame" position.

Using the camera with the 9 point AiAf enabled has had mixed results. Especially when trying to focus on macro subjects such as a flower. The green rectangles that indicate the focal points being used by the AiAf sometimes don't appear on the subject desired, but off to the side for example.

Is this correct, just snap the shot? Or do I shut off the AiAf and use the Center AF Frame focus, which puts a rectangle in the center of the LCD and appears to focus directly on what is within the box?

Is the 9 point good for anything? When do you use it? It sounds like cool technology, is it?

Canon after 5 techs couldn't provide any answers. Thanks in advance for your help!
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:54 PM   #2

I have had mixed results with the 9 point system.

My experience so far is that the 9 point chooses the highest-contrast points for its focusing. Those points may not be in the proper plane. This means the picture may focus on the background or foreground rather than the intended subject.

Personally, I have not used any auto-focusing camera yet that I am satisfied with. I have always had great results with manual focus SLRs. I can outsmart and outfocus any auto, and quite often I am faster!!

Until I have gained more experience and confidence in it, I have set my S-400 to center point focusing.
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote