Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 17, 2006, 4:36 PM   #1

Does any one have any experience with the durability of the display on the back of the Canon PowerShot SD550?

My parents just got one and I wondered if it was worth buying a Palm Pilot plastic covers and cutting them to fit this display to protect it or not.

I know on the Canon DSLRs the LCDs have a cover that (I've read) is easy to replace. But I wasn't sure if scratching is something worth worrying about and if so if it was easy to replace the plastic cover or not.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:39 AM   #2

I don't know how your parents are going to use it, but I just purchased an SD600 and plan on carrying it in my pants pocket all the time. Hence, the first thing I did was put a plastic cover on the LCD because I'm not going to take any chances. Radio Shack carries some generic protectors for PDA's, cameras, etc. and can be cut to fit anything. I figure it's a lot cheaper to replace those occasionally than worry about the LCD.
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

I have the SD500 and use an lcd protecter from:

It works great and I carry the camera in my hip pocket all the time. Better safe than sorry.
djetton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4

I had my SD550 for 5 months - I'm overly protective of my electronic stuff but I was surprised when yesterday my SD550 tumbled a few inches onto a plastic box and the LCD screen cracked.

My fault but I'm just mentioning that I expected a degree of robustness in such an expensive item and obviously there is problem with this model and it;s LCD sreen's fragility.

Apart from that I LOVE this camera - the video quality is great in moderate to full lighting conditions and I'm especially happy with the colours of my images.

Thank You,
simonwatts is offline   Reply With Quote