Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:38 PM   #1

Hello, everyone! I hope you could help me with my problem.

I bought my Canon Powershot A80 in May 2004. I love it and it works fine until yesterday. I was taking shots of street dancers and the camera was set to P mode. There were times that I would zoom in to capture the dancers' faces. Later, as I reviewed my shots, I was horrified to discover that in those times that I used zoom, all I saw were pure plain white rectangles!

I observed that whenever I zoom, the aperture gets really small and the shutter speed goes high that the picture comes out overexposed to the point that all I see is white. However, when I don't use zoom, the shots come out okay.

I dunno if the sensor got damaged; and I dunno how it ever got damaged in the first place.

Is this a common problem? Is it fixable? I don't have funds for a new digicam yet. (
TwistedHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 5:51 PM   #2

I also have a malfunctioning A-80, but not the problem you describe. I purchased mine in Nov. '04 and right after the warranty expired, the flash quit synchronizing, so I cannot use the camera except in good available light. Question: where did you get yours? Could we have gotten refurbished units that were re-packaged? Very disappointing. Good luck. Canon says $99 for basic standard repair.
UrbanLegend is offline   Reply With Quote