Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:23 PM   #1
Default Capturing quick action shots with canon G3

I am very pleased with my canon g3 however I don't like the lag time for capturing images. I recently was trying to get some shots of eagles swooping down and plucking fish scraps out of the harbor. By the time the camera focused all I had was the back side of the bird.

Jim Williams
skantech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:32 AM   #2

One of the problems with digital camera's is the shutter release lag. With my A70, I find that you have to prefocus with the shutter button pushed half way down before I shoot. Then the lag is only a tenth of a second, compared to a full second when I just push the button all the way down with no prefocus. But even with a tenth of a second lag you have to shoot real fast action shots a little ahead of time so you dont miss the shot. I'm hoping that when the new G model comes out it will be much faster than the G3. Then I will update. Maybe they will put some of the technology from the faster Canon DSLR's in it.
PSknr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2003, 4:38 PM   #3

One way I have found to get around the shutter issue is to set the camera on the continuous shot mode, preferably the high speed, then prefocus. Then you can snap several shots at once and delete the ones you don't like later.

One thing to note: the continuous mode will show the image after shooting while the high speed does not. You will get far faster continuous shots with the high speed. Also note that if you have to use the flash, regardless of continuous or high speed continuous, the recycle time of the flash will be your limitation and there is not much that can be done about that.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote