Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 16, 2006, 7:19 PM   #1

I have had my Canon S3IS for just over a week now and am generally very pleased with it. Here are some observations:

Start-up is very fast and shutter-lag is not noticeable in daylight.

I am using a Corsair 60x 512MB SD Card and have noticed some delay in the camera being ready for a subsequent shot. This may be unrelated. Edit: I now believe the slight delay to be the Flash cycle time rather than the save to memory time.

The Lens cap is not worthy of the camera!

The camera is a little bit small for my hands. I guess I will get used to it.

I haven't found the Battery charge level indicator yet! Must RTFM!

Battery life is superb! Haven't charged them since I got the camera.

I found that I couldn't force the Flash on in the Auto Mode. I had to switch to P(rogram) mode to force the flash for fill-in in broad daylight. Again, must RTFM!

The camera is well balanced around the Tripod socket. I use one of those miniature tripods and this is the first camera with which it worked easily.

The movie mode is very impressive and as easy to use as any camcorder because of the swivel LCD and the camcorder-like movie button.

If you want to assess the noise in low light conditions, read the review on the Imaging Resource website. I have not found a problem with noise on any of my images yet but have not pushed it under low light conditions.

The strap that comes with the camera is as cheap and nasty as the Lens Cap. Also, I find that the strap always hangs in the way when I am using the camera with the display swivelled out.

Despite the Lens cap and the strap, the camera is well built and feels "quality".

I would like to see opinions from other users.
wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 7:35 PM   #2

You can't force the flash on Auto mode by any camera. Auto means all are auto includ the flash.
sunnyplanet is offline   Reply With Quote