Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 28, 2003, 7:35 PM   #1
Default S400 - Unimpressed, am I missing something???

Let me start out by saying that the engineering of this camera is amazing. The form factor can't be beat. But I am somewhat surprised by the images I'm obtaining.

Tried shooting some snapshots this weekend. I had far more red eye than other people have reported, both with the red eye reduction on and off.

There seems to be more significantly more noise than I am used to, especially on diagonal lines and in high contrast areas.

Focus is better in low light than my other camera, but I had to trash a number of shots that were quite soft.

The comparison may not be fair. My other camera is a Nikon 5700 that produces film-like images (along as there is enough light to focus) and dwarfs the S400 in size.

Has anyone else experienced these complaints? Any tweaks for the settings I should try? I just love the convenience of this camera, but my wife even commented on the significant difference in overall image quality.

mperlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2003, 9:58 PM   #2

Hard to know what you consider good or bad, but I have been using mine now for a few weeks.

Last week was the first time I got any red eye at all, and in the same lighting and same subject it was replicatable every time - no matter what I did. When the ligting was changed, the red eye disappeared. Beats me why..

As for noise, I haven't noticed any - but thats not to say there is none.. ;-)

About the only complaint I've come up with, and it'd be generic for all digitals(I assume?) is that it's difficult to get crisp images of moving targets, in low light.

cbtsmelb is offline   Reply With Quote