Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 1, 2003, 4:24 PM   #1
Default s230 movies made me angry!

Fisrt I'd like to thank this site (camera reviews) for misleading me in
buying my s230. I sold my old s200 because of the short video, and waited over half a year to get my new s230. I chose it by looking through all modells on this site. Then I made a movie and saw it was really bad...

If you go and check you can see they wrote 20 frames/seconds for the s230, but it is only 15. (How can they make such a big and basic mistake?!) This makes the movies look really bad especially if you move the camera. The better resolution (640 x 480) and the longer recording time won't make me happy watching a movie like that. The old s200 could do 20 fps! I was so angry I almost smashed the new camera to the wall!
How can it be that Canon decreases the quality when everybody else wants to make better and better. That new s400 is also 15fps
and no 640 x 480 at all :-(

Does anybody know if I can download a new firmware to the camera from somewhere? I bet that it is capable of recording better movies as long as your CF card can hold and at the same 20fps. It's only because of marketing, they have the same hardware and software then playing around with some parameters they release a new model every half a year. I am so angry!
There is no camera with the same size being able to record good movies. (25fps 640x480 CF card limited length)

Can you give me some advice? I am giving it up.
pszotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2003, 4:49 PM   #2
Default Return the S-230 and get a Fuji 602.

Take that S-230 back if you're not happy.

The Fuji makes "movies" really well. I think it is 30 fps at 640x480

Or, buy a real vide camera and have near-broadcast quality movies from a mini-dv for way less than $1000 US.
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2003, 1:40 PM   #3

Yes, that FUJI Finepix is the only one that records perfect videos (perfect for me at least). My friend has that, it's really good.
But it's huge, won't fit in my pocket...

As far as I know the camcorders are not capable to record still images comparable to let's say pictures taken with a 3 megapixel camera. The pictures would be my primary purpose, but why not record video if I can, and why not good quality if it is possible (I mean technically)

I would take the s230 back if there was a better option. But there is not...

But thanks for trying to help me.

Does anyone know how to change the firmware in case of the powershot cameras? Or just if it's possible or not...?
pszotag is offline   Reply With Quote