Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 5, 2003, 7:37 PM   #1
Default New in A70 function! need help pls!

I juz bought my a70 and i m newbie in photographing,
There's few function in a70 i still can't understand how it's work even though i already read thru the user manual...
the camera have Tv, Av, P and M
what does those stand for...
what is ISO, aperture and shutter control?
if i wanted to play with those setting...how i know which kind of apeture, shuttle and ISO setting suitable for the picture i going to take eg.
night shot....portrait...close up or even normal shot at people.........

cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2003, 4:23 PM   #2

For some of the questions you can look in the glossary or search. I don't know much about it to tell you myself. But I've asked the questions and got some great websites.

For what those terms mean on the a70:

Auto: The camera controls everything about the exposure, except for Flash and Macro modes, image size and quality settings.
Creative Zone
Program AE (P): Places the camera in control of shutter speed and lens aperture, while you maintain control over everything else (i.e., white balance, ISO, metering, exposure compensation, flash, etc.).
Shutter-Speed Priority AE (Tv): Allows you to control the shutter speed settings from 1/2,000 to 15 seconds, while the camera controls the aperture. All other exposure settings are available.
Aperture Priority AE (Av): Allows you to set the lens aperture from f/2.8 to f/8.0, while the camera controls the shutter speed. The maximum aperture depends on the zoom setting, ranging from f/2.8 at the wide angle end to f/4.8 at the telephoto position. In this mode, you maintain control over all other exposure variables.
Manual (M): Provides complete control over all exposure settings, including shutter speed and lens aperture.
Image Zone
Portrait: Uses a large aperture setting to blur the background while keeping the primary subject in sharp focus.
Landscape: Employs a small aperture setting to keep both the background and foreground in focus. (May use a slower shutter speed, so a tripod is recommended.)
Night Scene: Uses slower shutter speeds and flash to even out nighttime exposures. The slow shutter speed allows more ambient light to be recorded in the low-light areas, while the flash freezes the subject. The Red-Eye Reduction mode can be used with this exposure mode to eliminate Red-Eye in night portraits.
Fast Shutter: Uses fast shutter speeds to stop action and maintain sharp focus on moving subjects.
Slow Shutter: Uses slow shutter speeds to blur fast-moving subjects.
Stitch-Assist: Allows you to record a series of images, either horizontally, vertically, or in a clockwise, 360-degree pattern, to be "stitched" together into one large image or panorama on a computer.
Movie: Records as long as three minutes of moving images with sound, at approximately 15 frames per second.