Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:49 AM   #11

I have to agree with jdrandall. I think you'll be very happy with the S3 for documenting your trips and activities. The only reason I have any issues with my S3 is because I push it to the limits of it capabilities, low light shots, very close macro shots, 100% crops, etc.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:53 AM   #12

Thanks again all,

Bill, that is a good call on the issues only showing when its pushed to its limits,i guess most people on here are quite into photography and will indeed find limits and thereforethe bad points.

CragRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:34 AM   #13

I've had my S3 for about a month now. I'm a photography newb and only have a basic understanding of things. I've took a few very nice shots with it and many many horrible ones. The horrilbe shotsare due to my lack of knowledge though. I took a few shots at a coworkers wedding and was very impressed by the prints she had made from them. Maybe I'm easy impressed but everyone involved was happy with the result so I'm not complaining.

There are other cams with stong points from my research but the S3 does seem to be about the best all around for general consumers and wannabe's like me. :-)
Edison Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:32 PM   #14

I got the S3IS about a month ago for a really cheap dealer price (me being a salesman and all that) and I have never been more satisfied with the camera. The only greives I have is that the flash is a bit weak and the camera noise could have been better. Purple fringing does occur at full telephoto on very tight areas but I am able to take handheld shots at full telephoto without losing quality.

I'll put it this way...if you want to a lot of indoor shots...its alright...but outdoor shots in any form of daylight, it'll take the greatest pictures you ever could take. Plus the screen gives you a lot of creativity options (ie: I held the camera facing straight up so I could take a picture of a flower against a pure blue sky.)
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:25 AM   #15

I have looked at loads of reviews and opinions now and im really stuck between the H5 And S3.The main thing that holds me back on the S3 is the number of people who say it has softfocus and unsharp image quality.

PRo's to me over the sony are Faster continuous shoot,4 batteries,finger zoom,VideoQuality for small clips and the physical size of the unit,but overall i think if the pic quality isinferior then that should make me go H5.There seemsto bemore people who tried bothwent for the H5 rather than the the S3.

What was it you liked more with the S3 pics than the others,and have you tried the H5?

If any of you have a site with S3 shots on would you post the linky thing..

CragRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:11 AM   #16

First thing I have to say is that I am not a "pixel peeper". If you compare images taken with the $1000+ camera equipped with $1000+ lenses at 100% size you will see that those images are sharper than those taken with the S3.

But for me, images taken with the S3 ($450 cost) are plenty sharp enough for my purposes. I don't print out anything larger than 8 1/2 X 11 and mostly just print 4 X 6's (as do probably 95% of those people who own digital cameras). I don't post pics on my SmugMug site any larger than 1027 X 687.

When I compared the S3 to the other cameras, the S3 images were as good or better than any of theimages taken with the other cameras (when viewed at my screen size which is a 19" monitor). The S3 is a very versatile and fun camera (especially outdoors in good light) and I get more keepers with it than I did with any of the DSLR's I had plus, I don't have to lug around a bunch of lenses.

When I posted my earlier message, Steve'sreview of the H5 had not been posted yet. After comparing the H5 images with the S3, I have concluded that the H5 definately has better ISO capabilities but purple fringing seems to be worse with the H5 than the S3.

I haven't posted any S3 images to my SmugMug site as yet.

As of right now, the only camera I am considering to buy (to complement and not replace my S3) is the Sony R1 (because of the flash hotshoe, remote release, PC sync. connectionand that fantastic lens) for landscpe and indoor portrait work.

:?I want to end this post with this opinion (which will probably stir up a can of worms). When SLR cameras were first released, theadvantage they possesed over rangefinder and twin lens reflex cameras was the fact that the SLR'sviewfinder showed the image through tha taking lens and you could change lenses to better fit the situation, which was a great benefit. With digital P&S cameras and computer designed zoom lenses, this is no longer much of an an advantage since they both show the image through the taking lens and there is no need to change lenses. I predict that sometime, in the future, P&Sdigital cameras will equal and eventually surpass the image taking capabilities of DSLR (35mm format) cameras. Digital Medium Format cameras will then be the ultimate professional camera. Eventually Large Format digital sensors will become affordable and won't that be fun (I loved large format photography for landscapes) ("sigh"......I probably won't live long enough to see that day).

jdrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:47 PM   #17

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect but for all the features packed in one camera it'sgreat. I still have a ton to learn on it and that's another reason I bought it...to get out of Auto mode and really learn how to take photographs. I love the macro and movies--they are amazing. Indoors low light still need to play with it more to get the results I want. Outdoors I am getting some nice photos.
DeborahB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:34 PM   #18

I have been looking at this camera to replace my Olympus E-100RS and was wondering if it would be worth it. Nothing really wrong with the Oly with its 10X zoom just a bit heavy and low MP.
BrettFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:17 AM   #19

Hi, I purchased an S3 IS about 2 weeks ago. Ihad originally purchased the Sony DCS H5, but found it to be really lacking in features and flexibility. I did like the H5's large LCD. Sony's Image Stabilization did not work as well as the Canon's. The Sony zoom had a very hard time focusing in low light, where the Canon worked flawlessly. I take pictures of marching band competitions, many of which are on a lit field at night. Some are performed purely indoors. Because of safety and distraction, we are not allowed to use a flash, at all. I used the Sony H5 for one such performance and the results were not much better than my 4 year old Olympus C-750UZ. Sure, lots more pixels, but what does that matter when the shot is blurred and has purple lines framing highlights? Needless to say, I returned the Sony, and exchanged it for the Canon S3 IS. I used the Canon at a championship show on July 1st. The results were amazing. At full zoom, without flash or tripod, the photos were incredible. I printed 6 - 8"x10's for a local drum and bugle corp, and they asked how I had gotten permission to be on the field during the performance. I was not on the field, but in the viewing-stand. I paid $20 more for the Canon than I did for the Sony and I would gladly have paid much more, having seen the results. The Sony has more pixels and a better lens. The Canon works incredibly well in far more adverse situations and the processor is amazing.

Let me sum it up like this. If someone gave me the Sony H5 and proprietary memory sticks, I would not turn it down. I would, and did, gladly pay for the Canon S3 IS. For me, it does exactly what I need and it does it extremely well. I guess I am a new Canon convert.Thanks for asking!

ghopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 4:11 PM   #20

Hellooo .. I'm new here ..

While reading and researching this forum, I've decided to join.

I'm glad I found this site .. and even happier that I found this thread on the S3 .. I just went to Best Buy today, and had a gander at this little gem .. I'm really impressed ..!

I work at a golf course and see amazing things all the time, like the hawk that landed in front of me to peck at a small snake .. and it wouldnt move, nor was it in the least bit intimidated by me .. orrrr, the 4 otters that went skimming across the #5 tee box, while trying to get to the pond on the other side of the cart-path, while I sat in my cart .. 25 feet away.. then, there's the two baby bob cat cubs, that ran out infronta my cart the other morning, only to freeze and stare at me, for atleast 30 seconds .. wondering what I was ..

I could go on and on, however, my point is .. I need a camera to capture some of this .. and, I was originally looking at the Canon a95 .. I own several Pentax6X7's and shoot weddings and portraiture, along with models .. and the a95 is just too small a camera .. great price, good quality, but .. I want more ..

I went to Best Buy today and gave the S3 IS a test drive.. ( I know hardly anything aboutdigitals but learning quite a bit here) The camera was a whole lot smaller then it appeared on eBay .. still tho .. I was very impressed .. and have been searching this site for more *happyS3 Owner's* ..

If only this camera had a PC sync .. woah :O.. lol .. ok ok .. I'm asking too much .. I do find myself purchasing this from Best Buy very soon .. and am grateful for, and inspiredwith this site .. lotsof great folks .. advice .. oh and, now that I'm a *member* I can click on links thatcontain images .. :lol:

You think this camera's flash would be enough to set off a couple slaved Metz 60CT's??? LOL .. I'm serious ... I wouldlove to maybe, kinasorta, well .. you know .. do some indoorshots of models .. and welllll .. just what are the limits of this beauty anyway?

I wanna push the limits with this thing .. and maybe .. in the future .. perhaps move on to something else ..

I've read aboutand seen the Sony R1 .. but .. I dunno .. for that kina$$$ .. I'd buy an EOS .. Wish me luck ... and if there's anyone unhappy with thier S3 .. please, chime in and explain ..

Thanks folks!
Digifo is offline   Reply With Quote