Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:13 PM   #1

I've been reading in this forum that a lot of users have not had good success taking pictures in the auto mode with the S3. I'm a novice user but I'd like to think that in the future I may learn enough about photography to want to use the added features of a meatier camera than just a plain point-and-shoot.

In the meantime, while I don't know all the ins & outs of ISO, can I expect quality pictures from the S3 in auto mode?

I'm the mother of 3 small children who are fast movers. Don't want to have to constantly readjust settings or I'll miss good shots. Like the 10x optical zoomwith the IS. Plan to keep this camera for many years (I'm so sick of doing camera research!!) I'm a point and shooter now but I aspire to more (but that may not happen in the very near future).

Is this camera a good match for me or should I keep looking?

I'd considered the Sony when I was shopping for my first digital camera but I didn't like the colors. That was 5 years ago though so maybe that's changed.

whimzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:27 PM   #2

I don't have the S3 but I had the S2, which is very similar. Unless Canon made major changesto the S3, I don't think you will be a very happy camper with it considering the type of pictures you want to take. Choosing a camera based oncolor is a bit silly, but that's me. I only go for the color once I have decided on the brand and model, assuming the camera I choose comes in different colors. To me, picture quality and camera functionality are top priority in the decision making process. The reason I say that is because I happen to have the Sony H1 (also a 12x zoom) and it's the best camera I've ever had (and I've had many). I very seldom loose a picture and they look greatright out of the camera. It takes only 2xAA, it has a large LCD (2.5") among many other great features.I'd look into the H2 and H5 (new Sony models) as well as the S3. They are awesome cameras. But, if you happen to be a Canon fan, the good news is that the S3 appears to be a more solidcamera than the S2, which is very encouraging!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote