Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:09 PM   #1

(copied from another forum)

I read somewhere that someone said that the Image Stabilization on the SD700 gave the pictures an undesirable flat look. He went on to say that it is better to turn off I.S. when it is likely the shutter will operate at a high speed, such as for outdoor shots in the sun.

What does it mean for a picture to look flat?

I took some tripod shots with an SD700, with I.S. on and off. I couldn't see any difference in the finished pictures. (Pictures analyzed on a computer screen enlarged to a 1 to 1 pixel match with the computer video).

Now if the I.S. whenin action as needed fora hand held shotmakes the picture look flat, that means that if I.S. was turned off for that same shot, the shot would be blurry instead due to shaky hands. I'd prefer a sharp "flat" picture over a blurry picture any day.
ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 6:43 PM   #2

The poster you're referring to said the pictures were less vivid in the SD700. After comparing my Canon SD400 with my new Canon SD700, I tend to agree. Actually I think the Canon SD400's color setting is too saturated, and the SD700 is more realistic. But most people like thepunchy, slightly exaggerated color, and I have to agree it is pleasent in non-portrait photography. The fix is easy: just set the SD700 to "Vivid" or up the "Saturation" setting up one notch.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote