Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:54 AM   #1

Hello all,

I am a digital photography novice and looking for your opinion. I recently got a Canon SD 700 IS from ButterflyPhoto.com. The only thing wrong with the camera is it has one dead pixel on the LCD.

Is it worth returning the camera?

(I looked at Best Buy and Circuit City, and both the demo models did not have this problem)

Thanks for your advice
DeadByDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:32 PM   #2

Most manufacturers say that it is not considered a defect if there are up to .1% (one-tenth of one perrcent) dead pixels in the LCD. Remember, this is only the LCD screen. These pixels shouldn't show up on your photos. If the defective pixel is on the CCD, then they would show up on the pictures. Most stores will probably let you exchange the camera, especially if you just got it. If you think you just can't live with it, you can try to exchange it. However, there is no guarantee that your replacement won't have the same problem. I hope this helps a little. Good luck.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3

I don't know if it's worth the bother for just one dead pixel, but your comfort level might be different.

That being said, I once exchanged a brand new $3,000 laptop three times at Fry's because of one or two dead pixels, until I got a flawless one. But that was for a $3K.

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote