Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 21, 2003, 8:42 PM   #1
Default a canon s45 or a s400

im trying to buy a digital camera that i can put in my pocket and i dont know which one should i buy.
please give me some advice
olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 5:42 PM   #2

Both S45 and S400 share similar lens construction, with F2.8 - 4.9, 3x optical zoom.

Both have the new DGIC processor from Canon which features high quality, high speed, and good autofocus.

Differences are mainly size and manual functions.
S400 is a very compact camera, extremely portable but sacrifices manual functions and the ability to save in RAW format.

Depending on purpose, the S400 is designed as a portable high quality point and shoot with little picture control.

The S45 is slightly bulkier, but has features like a semi professional camera, like apeture and shutter priority to play with depth of field, but for a budget market.

Personally I would not go for the S45 as it is a half way camera between the G3 and the S400, in size and features. For me, the manual functions on the S45 are more suited for a better lens camera, of which the G3 does meet the requirements.

The S400 has a good balance of functions, not excessive, but enough to control minor detailing in it's manaul mode. One point to note with regards to the S400 is the inability to manually control the shutter, which can be handy for fast moving subjects.

mazor is offline   Reply With Quote