Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 22, 2003, 10:21 AM   #1
Default Can I use a Canon A70 as a high quality webcam?

I would like to use a Canon A70 as a webcam, taking a picture every 15 minutes, downloading it to my website and storing in on my harddisk to make a small movie later on.

Does anyone know if this is possible and what software I can use for this? :?:

Gijs Valbracht
The Netherlands
GijsValbracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2003, 2:10 PM   #2

I was wondering about this too.

It can take video.. so why can't you use it as a webcam? I'm sure it is just some sorta software thingy that would be able to do this.

Perhaps someone else has an idea about this
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 4:00 PM   #3

My Canon Pro90 came with a program called Remote Capture. This lets you hook up my camera via USB cable and automatically take pictures over a period of time. Don't know if this software is still bundled with Canon cameras. BreezeSystems also makes and enhanced version of this software for some models of cameras.

This isn't really a WebCam function... if you want a WebCam, spend fifty bucks for dedicated one. Using a digital camera for this purpose is somewhat like plowing a field with a Cadillac.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 12:14 PM   #4

Yes :P

The A70 itself has no time-lapsed feature built in. You need the Remote Capture utility included from Canon. It works great for time-lapsed photography. I purchased a tripod and an extra long USB cable to do this. Just make sure you connect the A70 to a power supply and not batteries. The movies I make are filmed over a 2-4 day period. Steve's Digicam and DCReview website has excellent tutorials on how to do time-lapsed photography. You will need to understand frames per second, compression codecs and such. If the pictures are taken too close together then the movie will be too short.
CanonGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:51 AM   #5
Default time laspse photography

do u know which software and what do i need 2 do a time laspe photography or which site do have tutorials on this...

cheewooi is offline   Reply With Quote