Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:11 PM   #1

I am a newbie in this forum and I am very interested in getting input from you all.

I am planning to buy the Canon S3 IS,which I have read the reviews and I think it fits my budget. My questions are as follows.

1. Is there a Night feature mode in this camera.

2. can the shutter speedbe adjustable below 1/60 sec, for example 1/8
sec or 1/4 sec.

3. What Add-on lens canbe used on the S3 IS. If some one could give a link for a website where there are good compatible add-on lens, telephoto, wide angle. I have read in tis forum and other placesabout the add-on lens but it had not been clear to me aboutwhat are the good add-on lens,which company add-on lens should I buy,which website from, average cost etc.

4. Is there a website which is dedicated to the canon S3 IS features accesories and information in details.

5. How have the owners of the S3 felt about their investment. Does anyone regret buying it or would recommend any other camera.

I would like to thank you guys in advance . I have leart a lot about camera and photography just by reading this forum. Keep up the good work.

sid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:45 PM   #2

1. Probably same as the S2 IS. Yes.
2. Of course
3. Add on lens is probably the same as S2IS also, but any 58mm will fit.
Tele-converter 1.5x lens (TC-DC58B)
Wide-converter 0.75x lens (WC-DC58A)
Lens Adapter/Hood Set (LAH-DC20)
Close-Up Lens 500D (58mm)
4. One of them: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022111canons3is.asp
5. I have an S2 IS. Planning to upgrade to dSLR.

Enjoy your research.

Jackco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the information.

Can any of you post pictures of your accesories for the S3 IS that you have purchased with the name and the site you got it from, that would be great .

Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:03 AM   #4

Conduct a Google search for the accessories, you'll find some pics and stuff:

Here's and S3 with the adapter and petal lens hood, sure you can find others on there too
redsky009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:01 AM   #5

It's very much similar to Canon A540 with an addition of 12x zoom and image stabilizer. If you don't need a 12x zoom, don't get the S3 IS. You're paying the price of higher cost and larger size mainly for the longer zoom.

itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:48 PM   #6

Look here:

Jeff S2IS
jbarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:16 PM   #7

Hey jbarrickthanks for the link. I found some good info there.

Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:52 AM   #8

This is with regards to add-on lenses...

I have my S3IS for about 5 months now and very proud of it. I was also concerned about using it for wideangle shots. After some research, I got myself the Raynox SRW-6600PRO 0.66X Wideangle lens (with a Raynox RB52S2 52mm lens holder adapter). This gives my S3IS upto 23mm equivalent wide-ablge (way more than the Canon 0.75x wideangle converter)!! You can also opt for SRW-6600-58LE that perfectly matches the 58mm Canon LAH-DC20 lens adapter (if you already have one). The best thing is that, it barely doesnt have the barrel distortions common in other lenses and fish-eyes. Now, I almost never dettach my Raynox wideangle lens from my S3IS because I just love taking wide-angle sceneries. I bought my set in Japan for roughly $120 (lens) $8 (adapter).
For additional info, I also purchased the Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2X tele-converter lens. This baby gives my S3IS a whooping total of 26x optical or 950mm equivalent zoom!!!
You can Google these lenses and their review on the net. Some sites have comparison photos as well. Good luck!!

also, here the website for the Raynox lenses for S2IS and S3IS:
jonalta is offline   Reply With Quote