Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 27, 2003, 8:03 AM   #1
Default QV-5700 Review

Having recently bought a Casio QV-5700, I've just read its review here on this site, and I think it's about the most thorough review I've read of anything, anywhere! So far I'm very pleased with the camera. I have just a couple of points to add…

1. I'm on my second specimen of QV-5700, as my first had a speck of dust or other defect on the CCD, resulting in the same shaped 5x5 pixel spot in the same place on every frame, regardless of camera setings. How common are defects like this? Many people wouldn't have noticed it, but I first spotted it as a bright green spot on a grey slate roof, and only some time later realised that the green spot was also present on the predominantly green shots I'd taken, and also a brown spot on a brown background. It would have been disastrous if I was a portait photographer! My dealer swapped it without question.

2. The sensitivity defaults to 50ASA, which seems slow to me for routine handheld photography these days. I've said more about this in the 'General Q&A' thread on ISO ratings.

3. You can't alter the shutter speed or aperture in 'S' or 'A' mode without the monitor screen switched on. This is an annoying quirk which some might think was a fault, but a software supplier would describe as a 'feature'. If you power down with the monitor off, it powers up next time with the monitor still off, which is how I like it. However, if you're in 'S' or 'A' mode, and try to alter the shutter speed or aperture using the LCD top panel display and rotary switch, the camera won't respond. You have to switch on the monitor before you can do so. I expect this is a defence against incorrect exposure, but I'd prefer to do without it, so I could take my chance with a quick snapshot, having guessed a safe shutter speed. As it is, I can still take the chance, but I'm stuck with the speed I used last, until I've pushed the display button.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links