Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:15 PM   #1

hello all,

I recently just got the casio ex-z700. I have really liked the way it has worked thus far, except the video. I make a 2 minute video and the file size is 30mb! Compared to my old camera, the file size is ridiculous. is there anything I can do either in the camera itself before filming or in some sort of converter once the video file is on the computer to make the file size smaller? or is 30mb for a 2 min video normal? it seems very high to me =/

any help would be greatly appreciated.

starah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:28 PM   #2

Looking at Steve's sample movie it took about 14 Mb for 10 seconds of movie at best quality and size. So 2 minutes should take around 165 Mb. He shows it filling a 256 Mb memory card in 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

It would appear you are recording low quality LP and seem to be doing well compared to Steve's tests to get 2 minutes with only 30 Mb. Steve shows LP filling a 256 Mb card in about 13 and a half minutes. That is a small movie at a jerky frame rate. I don't think you want to reduce that in software.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:04 AM   #3

starah wrote:
Compared to my old camera, the file size is ridiculous.
That is because the EX-Z700 uses Motion JPEG as the video codec. You want MPEG-4 (EX-Z750, EX-Z850, EX-S600, EX-S770) or even H.264 aka MPEG-4 AVC (EX-V7).

Of course, you can convert your clips to MPEG-4 or H.264 on the computer. SUPER (http://gpl.download.free.fr/SUPER.html - Freeware) should be able to do it.
ex-spex is offline   Reply With Quote