Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:35 AM   #1

Please ADVICE ME...

CASIO Exilim EX-V7 ? or Panasonic TZ1-TZ3 ? or Sanyo Xacti HD2 ?

I want to buy a new camera (ev. camcorder) WITH VERY GOOD VIDEO MODE :
- 7 to 10 time OPTICAL ZOOM avalaible in video mode
- Good stabilisation
- Not to big : easy to take every day with
- Not to heavy video (mpg4 is not so good isn'it? is codec H.264 better?)

I search hard... and downloaded some VIDEO SAMPLES and LINKS in my website at this adress: http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/sample.html

(Till now I continue to shoot with my old but very good NIKON Coolpix 4500)

Thank's in advance (and sorry for my freench-english)

anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:05 PM   #2

I have not owned a panasonic, but have owned 3 casios and have been very happy with them. The menus are easy, the video is excellent and the fact that you don't have to press a button to do macro focus is great.
jkevinwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:05 PM   #3

I have Kodak Z-730 with 4x optical zoom, a Kodak z-7490 with 10x optical zoom neith have image stabilization but they both are very good. I not to long ago bought the Panasonic DMC-TZ1 with 10x optical zoom and image stabalization. This camera is fantastic the Elmarit lens is great and it handles close ups better than the Kodaks.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The best thing is that it fits in my pocket just like the Z-730!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"A friend of my girl friends was bragging about his casio with 7.2mp (yet to hear which model) only know it was bought 2 years ago. She asked me to see if was as good as he was bragging so I came to this forum to see what the casio line was about.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I was surprised to see how few threads there were and how few postings there ere and most of the postings refer to problems.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If I were you I would look at the Panasonic forum and see what pleased owners were talking about and see the images they were sharing. Look at the forums of the brands you like and not the degree or participation as it reflects the degree of owner/user satisfaction.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"BiLL

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 7:47 PM   #4

I have both a Casio and Panasonic. They both have excellent lenses, although my Z750 has a lens not made by Casio – I think it is a Schneider lens. The Panasonic of course is a Leica.

Casio thinks out their control setups better than Panasonic IMO. And even the pure P&S Casios have excellent configurability. I like that you can individually set what features reset to default and which stay where you had them when you cycle the camera off and back on. I also like 5 levels each for contrast, sharpening and saturation.

I don't know that H264 is that big a deciding factor. I haven't seen really good reviews that compared it to MPEG4, and I know that is good. You can fit more movies on a card, but MPEG4 isn't bad at all compared to non-compressed codices.

The past movie mode is really handy on Casios that have it like the V7. You aim the camera and wait for something worth filming to happen. When the fish finally jumps or the kid does the cute thing again you start recording and it includes the previous 5 seconds from the buffer. So you don't have to grind away waiting for something to happen. It saves a lot of space and editing.

Some things I like about the V7 are its small size, full manual everything, 60 second shutter, good burst mode and burst with flash. You can zoom while filming and it has a movie light.

I really like the wide angle on the TZ3.

I'm not into hybrids, maybe you could ask about the Sanyo on the hybrid forum. But of the two primarily still cameras I think I would prefer the Casio for movies and pocketability and the Panasonic for the wide angle.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote