Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Default Anybody can show me some photos taken by QV-5700,thanks

I am a freshman here, and I want to buy CASIO QV-5700.But I want to see some real photos.thanks.
persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2003, 2:28 AM   #2
Default QV5700 shots

I have a QV5700 gallery at http://mikeb.instantlogic.com

Choose the album called "Summer in Zeeland". Like to hear your opinion. It's a fine but grossly underestimated camera that performs beautifully.

For me, it was a value for money thing: I hate to spend $1000 on a camera which I just know I will want to replace in a year or two, seeing how fast technology is advancing.

With the $470 I spend on the QV5700, it will be so much easier to write off the investment and convince my wife I need a new digicam ;-)

newmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:14 AM   #3

I bought a QV-5700 at the end of June, as a 5Mpixel successor to my Olympus C3020Z. I'm afraid I've only just spotted your message, in spite of following this forum for the whole of July. The problem is that you really need to see the images at full size with little jpg compression to make a judgement about quality, and an 'economy' jpeg is 1.4MB which will take many people several minutes to download. If I can identify a suitable image I'll post a cropped piece of image at full size.

I have a few pictures resized and slightly compressed that you can look at on http://mysite.freeserve.com/digicam01/index.html

I'm on my second QV-5700 specimen, because I fortuitously spotted a CCD defect, possibly a dust speck, resulting in a small cluster of faulty pixels. My dealer swapped it without demur. These defects seem to be pretty common with many digicams.

In general I'm very pleased with the camera, especially at the amazing 419 ukpounds I paid for it. I'd have bought an Olympus C5050Z if I could have afforded it. The Casio does have few little eccentricities that you need to know about if you use some of the many features. I've only owned two digicams, and only used four, so for all I know there are such annoyances with many other models....

1. It sets its sensitivity (film speed equivalent) to ISO50 by default, resulting in slow shutter speeds, and twice the risk of camera shake that many other cameras have, with a more common default of ISO100. The speeds are reasonable in bright weather in the UK, but not for everyday use in typical British weather, so I routinely set it to 100ASA, or even higher.

I was a bit worried about noisy images on turning up the sensitivity, so I did some tests and posted some images here to demonstrate. See...
I think ISO100 or even 200 is fine, if you're not too fussy.
2. The monitor screen has no brightness adjustment, and I find it next to useless outside in ordinary daylight, except when I use an improvised shade/magnifier. (see my post...
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#51769). Most digicams seem to suffer from this, but my Olympus at least had an adjustment to help a bit.
3. Even though you can't see the monitor very well a lot of the time, and will be using the optical viewfinder, the camera thinks it knows best when to turn the monitor on. E.g., it's always on when focus is set to manual or close-up. If you've already prefocused (e.g., for an action shot), you don't want the monitor on, busily flattening the battery.
4. The annoying converse of this is that it won't let you alter the aperture or shutter speed in 'A' or 'S' modes UNLESS the monitor is turned on. This makes you think you've broken the camera if you last powered down with the monitor switched off. It'll power up with the monitor still off, but when you try to alter the aperture or shutter speed using the LCD top panel display, it doesn't respond, until you switch on the monitor.
5. The way to prefocus, I discovered, is to focus using one of the various active focus modes, and then switch to manual focus, so that the camera dosen't refocus when you press the shutter release. This is most useful with so-called 'infinity' focus mode. I got some very disappointing panorama results, until I realised that it doesn't necessarily 'focus near infinity' as the handbook says. If you're doing landscapes, it'd be quite nice to set the infinity setting and just leave it, but if you're unlucky, the camera may still focus on 2.5m even when it's set to 'infinity', if there happens to be a flower nearby. You can see this if you look at the 'EXIF' image data that's stored in the image file.

Have fun. The QV-5700 is pretty unbeatable for facilites and pixels at its current price.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:49 AM   #4
Default QV-5700 picture

Here is a 65KB, 720x540 version of a QV-5700 photo...

and this is the full size file straight from the camera (*BEWARE* long download, 2560x1920, 1210KB)...

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:56 PM   #5
Default How does it beave in low light conditions...

I'm considering exchange my old QV-3000, because it's completelly unable to focus on low light conditions.. How does the QV5700 beaves? Is't any better, since it has got an AF asist light?

J. Rosado
jrosado is offline   Reply With Quote