Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Default Exilim Z4??

I'm thinking of purchasing a Z4. How is this camera compared to the Z3 or the canon S400.
burger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:50 AM   #2

I have no experience of Canon s400 but I bought a Casio Z4 2 days ago. I have had to exchange it with another one because the display was flickering. Also the picture quality in my opinion is not brilliant compared to my older Kodak DX3600 which is a 2 MP camera. It has definitely a WOW factor and it is very portable.

Good luck. Let me know what you think of the camera if you do decide to buy one.
dockhurram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 4:35 PM   #3

I really like the 2 inch LCD since you have to do all of your menu settings on the LCD. Otherwise the Pentax Optio S4 is a better camera. The Z4 is basically P&S where the S4 has a full range of controls. The S4 is also a little smaller. The Z4 uses the same Pentax lens as the S4.

The Canon S400 is a great little camera. It takes better pictures, but it isnít nearly as easy to slip in your jeans pocket. The Canon doesnít have aperture and shutter priority but it has full manual. I seldom use A or S modes in a digital. Portrait mode blurs the background with the largest available aperture and the sport mode optimizes for the fastest available shutter. Anything in between I use manual, which I wouldnít want to be without in any camera.

Since most rangefinder type optical finders show only 82-85% of the final image you are losing a lot of pixels just framing. That is if you frame perfectly. I seldom take a shot I donít want to crop a little somewhere even with an EVF showing 100%. Few people use the LCD to frame the majority of their shots, so I think 4Mp is better than 3. From what Iíve read so far the Z4 is every bit as good as the Z3 but with better lag and cycle, so I would go with the Z4 over the Z3 unless you find a great deal on one.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote