Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Dec 15, 2003, 2:43 PM   #1
Default Exilim Z4: to buy or not to buy :) help me, owners!

Hi all,
I'm totally new to this world and I'm going to buy my 1st digital camera!
I've seen and read a lot about them but when I saw Casio Exilim EX-Z4, I got really impressed by its LCD and its design, it's excellent...
now the most difficult part: how is image quality?
Is it really so bad compared to Canon Ixus 400?
Please somebody who has this camera, give me an opinion on that and if somebody could send me soem pictures in original format to my e-mail (icest0rm@despammed.com) I'll be very pleased.
I've noticed from the sample pictures in this site that they seem a bit less detailed and not focused so well compared to the ones from Canon...is it really like that?
icest0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2003, 4:57 PM   #2

I wrote an extensive post re Canon S400 v. Z4 in this thread:

Short version: I liked the S400 better. YMMV.
CompuDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:00 PM   #3
Default The answer is simple if you want the best pictures.

I originally bought the Z4 and took it back because of poor picture quality. I then bought the s400 and the pictures are wonderful. In my opinion you cant even compare the two when it comes to picture quality. The casio is a little smaller and easier to carry but if you can get a blue tint and noise in a lot of photos, I think its better to get a slightly larger camera that takes great pictures. I had both and used both in many different scenarios, I like the Canon much better.
balexsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 7:31 PM   #4
Default The answer is simple if you want the best pictures.

I have both the casio z4 and the s400. you definitely feel a more bulky box like unit with the S400. no question the pictures will be sharper with the S400 but the Z4 is much more portable and won't tear up your pants.

need to ask yourself what's important small and flexible with good pictures or something a little more bulkier with better pictures.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 8:22 AM   #5
Default Don't Buy, Get's 2 Thumbs Down

Don't buy it. The camera's a piece of junk. Steve's review is not of the same camera I bought. Yes, the technical specs are the same but the review of the pictures, no way. The picture quality is garbage. Period. I've used mine for 2 weeks now, to try and figure out all of the settings to see if perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
It definately isn't me. The camera can't take good pictures.

What was Steve looking at?? Was the review made up?? Pure trash.
trehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Default Poor Pictures

not sure what you are talking about poor pictures. my camera takes great pictures although it does have some issues with low light situations.

that is where you need to play with the settings a little bit. if anyone wants to see any pictures I have taken let me know.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:06 PM   #7
Default casio z4 to buy or not to buy

I have recently purchased a casio Z4 and so far i am totally enamoured with it. sure the problems with small cameras are all there but I have no complaints with image quality.
It took me a while to come to terms with Casio not being a trad brand but this is a new industry.
Some of the pics i have taken on fine quality are comparable with my old Nikon film camera.
Maybe there are some bad batches out there, this even happened to Leica in the old days. buy it in a store and make them show you the results. I tried the Z3 and 4 and found the flash not so blue on the 4. which btw can be easily fixed in software.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:12 AM   #8

Well I just picked up a EX-Z4u. I would have liked the Z4 but Frys didn't offer it.

I actually picked up a Canon SD-100 last week. Very nice, very small
with a very detailed LCD (even thou small), ie very SHARP. The little Canon took great movies too, in 640x480 (with sound even) however, the actual photo quality (3.2 MP) was quite abit lower in both clarity and detail to my 2yr old Olympus D550 (3.0 MP). I was really dissapointed.

So I wanted something in the general size to the SD-100 and the Z4u was even smaller. SO, picked it up. However, had to take an already returned product....ie, box was ripped open but it was the only one they had.

The camera had the "BLUE TINT" problem so I bet that is why they returned it. Anyways, FLASHED the firmware from 1.00 to 1.02 and all is well.

The one thing I did notice for sure thou, the Z4 took much BETTER and more detailed pictures @ 4.0 MP than the Canon did @ 3.2 MP.

Much better. Pics are very good with the Z4u which surprised me. They are pretty much as detailed as my Olympus 3.0 MP shots...very clear and detailed ......even in low light (once u see them on the computer) low light shots still show up kinda fuzzy on the LCD depending on how much light u have in the room.

I was looking for a small 4.0 MP camera....actually I would have been happy with the Canon SD-100 but I was really let down with the image quality - since I already had the SD card figured I'd try the Z4u.....so far I'm very impressed with the picture quality for so small a camera.

The prob I speak of on the SD-100, the center of the frame would be very focused and detailed......as you moved towards the edges the detail would soften up and almost become a blur....I took over 200 pics and used all types of settings, auto, manual (as much as u can) and was not able to get rid of this prob to my satisfaction. Was afraid the S400 would be the same.

My old Olympus D550 would take very detailed shots, and be detailed and focused from corner to corner, edge to edge. The Z4u seems to do the same at least so far and the pics are AWESOME.

Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 5:42 AM   #9

Don't buy the Z4. I've always been an Olympus user and currently own the C40. However, a friend bought the Z4 which had killer looks, swift startup and quick flash recharge which attracted me. I immediately bought one on 21 Feb. I had forgotten one thing - compare image quality. Sorry to say but I wasn't surprised - I was HORRIFIED. Even at full resolution, the pictures on the Z4 had lots of noise with purple pixelated patches, and worse still, the flash (in low lighting) could not light up a subject standing 10 feet away. The C40 had no problems. My only issue with the C40 is startup and flash recharge times. Still, I'm flogging off the Z4 and sticking to Olympus.
JonathanLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 6:56 AM   #10

It seems clear from comments I've read that there are quality control issues with this camera and some people have been unlucky in getting a duff Z4. I can't see there's any other explanation for some saying the picture quality is awful. Sure, everyone has their own opinion etc, but some of the extremely negative descriptions I've seen of the picture quality of the Z4 just don't equate in any way to what I see with my Z4 - or with Steve's review and other reviews online.

As a very happy Z4 owner (European model) I just cant see how anyone could say the picture quality is crap - unless they got a duff camera. The picture quality on a "normal" Z4 is excellent. And any issue with blue tint etc have been resolved with the latest firmware upgrade. Do you really think Steve would have given it the review he did if the quality was as some have described? And don't you think other independent review sites would also be panning this camera if it was that bad? Sorry I just don't buy it - if the quality isn't good - take it back and ask for a replacement.

This is a great little camera, which I can recommend wholeheartedly.

guitareth is offline   Reply With Quote