Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:55 PM   #1

article taken from http://www.dcresource.com

Exilim EX-S500 [specs to come]

• 5.0 effective Megapixel CCD [/*]
  • F2.7-5.2, 3X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 38 - 114 mm [/*]
  • Ultra-thin metal body is just 0.6 inches thick; comes in white, orange (!), and gray colors [/*]
  • 2.2" LCD display [/*]
  • AF-assist lamp [/*]
  • Ultra-fast startup time of just one second [/*]
  • Anti-shake system (digitally) reduces the effects of camera shake, resulting in sharper images [/*]
  • 33 "Best Shot" scene modes including a "high sensitivity" mode which boosts the ISO for sharper pictures in available light [/*]
  • Can record MPEG4 video at 640 x 480, 30 frames/second, with sound; up to 80 minutes of continuous video can be recorded [/*]
  • 8.3MB onboard memory + SD/MMC card slot [/*]
  • USB 2.0 High Speed supported [/*]
  • 200 shots per charge using included NP-20 rechargeable lithium-ion battery [/*]
  • Priced at $399; not sure about availability [/*]
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 1:13 AM   #2

I've been waiting for someone to come out with a decent stabilized pocket camera, but this one isn't it. I would have learned to live with the point and shoot of the FX7 if they had put an optical finder on it.

Digital stabilization on video cameras degrades resolution compared to mechanical. This is the first digitally stabilized still camera I've seen, so the test results will be interesting.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:11 AM   #3

Pixmania are already listing it at as available 1/7/2005 at £250.

Mind you, not much of a saving, all of22p!!

jaigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4

The camera I have been waiting for, an upgrade to the S100 with MPEG4, BS button, Video button, and anti shake. Must be the ultimate camera - cant see anything missing here. This camera makes the competition look silly, even the new Kodak V550 :G

Anyone want to buy my new Z750 :O
viking7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:29 PM   #5

is the shutter lag better than the Z750?
Gubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:58 AM   #6

Gubby wrote:
is the shutter lag better than the Z750?
What do you want to shoot? Do you want to shoot bullets? The Z750 has been already rated among the fastest in numerious reviews, at about < 0.1sec. If only for the response time, I would have bought the z750 instead of Kodak V550 (although I found it fast enough for me after purchase, I didn't have any review data to help me decide).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 2:55 PM   #7

pcmag already posted a review (the first to my knowledge) of Casio EX-S500. They liked it, giving it 4 out of 5 stars (same as Canon SD series that they like more). Here is the link

I don't trust reviews too much and would like to hear owners' opinions. Unfortunately, this camera is not available in US until July-August 2005. Did anybody have a chance to play with it? How does their Anti-shake DSP works? I suspect that, since it is a DSP, it corrects for the bluriness after the picture is taken (being an electronic engineer I know what I am talking about). So, I guess you can post-correct blury images of any camera by using the right software to post process them. The Anti-shake DSPis nota big advantage of S500, it just saves time by eliminating the need for post-processing the images on your own.

Panasonic LumixFX8 manages to use anoptical image stabilizer for a 3.7 x2 x 0.95 inches body (Casio S500 has 3.5 x 2.3 x 0.63 inches body for comparison). Here is the only review of this camera I found:

You can see from the review that FX8 is the CNET Asia editors' choice with the rating of 8.2, which is pretty highconsidering that most other popular cameras (including Canon Powershot S2 with OIS) only get the rating of 8 or less.

It would be interestiing if somebody compared the performance of the Anti-shake DSP of S500 with the OIS of FX8.
gpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:36 PM   #8

I just picked up an S500 on my way back from Luxembourg.

My first few shots in the airportcame out grainy. I'm now back in Texas and I will do some comparison shots if there is interest.

Im just a point and click guy so if there are special tests that you want me to do please describe in detail.
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:52 AM   #9

id luike some feedback on the camera.is it good?

howd ur photos from the airport look once you got home?
andyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:30 PM   #10

So Tony....what are your thoughts on the S500 camera ? still grainy? pray tell !
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote