Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1

I'm trying to decide between the Casio Z750, the Canon SD500, and the Fuji F10. The Casio wins on speed and wins strongly on user interface.

However, in all the photos I've seen, grass or foliage detail looks like an Impressionist painting: little random fuzzy blobs of color with islands of detail sticking out. This is a function of Casio's in-camera sharpening algorithm and how it handles fine details: it generally smooths away low-contrast detail in an attempt to sharpen edges.

In contrast, Fuji's is the best by far for grass and foliage -- but it hates bricks. Canon's is great on bricks and most leaves, but grass gets weird smudgy areas in it. Overall, I think Fuji's is the most "natural" unless you're looking at bricks, and the Canon probably looks "best", although the reds can be somewhat excessive.

This is easy to see in gallery pictures at full resolution. For instance, take the picture of the stone church with the Spanish tile roof and the palm trees (it says "Escondido Mall" on the street sign in the center). Look at the grass and the bushes. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml
Now look at the same picture from the Canon SD500:
And the Fuji F10:

Both dpreview and dcresource note the "overprocessed" look of the stock settings, and recommend turning down sharpness, contrast, and saturation. Unfortunately, almost all the example photos are still taken with stock settings, and to my eye they look awful. It's like the camera is slightly out of focus and trying to compensate for it in post-processing.

So I have a request for those who have read this far: is it possible for someone to take a few pictures of the same scene on different settings for comparison? I'd love to see the same picture, with lots of grass and trees for detail, taken at:
Default settings
-2 sharpness
-2 sharpness, -2 contrast

If you have no place to host them, you can email them to me and I can host them so that everyone can see the differences. And if you're in northern Cal I can buy you a beer.

El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:29 AM   #2

To forestall the obvious questions, yes, I've found this:
which answers some of my questions. Turning down the contrast definitely helps: I like contrast -2 and saturation -1.

Unfortunately, I'm still looking for sample shots with sharpness variation...that gallery, while excellent, only varies contrast and saturation.
El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote