Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:25 PM   #1

Just have my S500 for three days. Noticed that users can set, Flash/Red-Eye, Focus/Macro, AF area, Continuous shots, Self Timer, Anti-shake, EV, WB, ISO, Metering window, Filter, Sharpness, Saturation, Contrast, Flash Intensity.

There is no manual aperture and shutter settings. So how do you all use the Best Shots 29 settings effectively?

Here is my list to use the Best shots settings.

BS01 AUTO: is the simplest auto everything mode.

BS23 Anti-shake: simple for fast moving objects.

BS24 Hi-sensitivity: simple for mix lightings.

BS02 Portrait: for objects at around 6 feet distance.

BS17 Night & Portrait: sets up red-eye-reduction flash for 6 feet distance objects.

BS03 Scenery: for objects at infinity.

BS04 Portrait & Scenery: for combining shots of both near and far objects.

BS06 Sports: set of high shutter shots. BS05 Children, BS08 Party, BS09 Pet are same as Sports.

BS07 Candle-Light: is meant for low light settings. (Similar in used of BS24 Hi-Sensitivity)

BS16 Night Scene: is for night shots without flash of distance objects.

BS18 Fireworks: for 2 sec long exposure night shots.

BS22 Back-Lighting: for flash filler against the light shots.

BS13 Soft Water: to preserve blurring running water shots.

BS20 Text: for sharpen text edges. BS21 Collection, BS19 Food, BS28 Business card are similar to Text.

BS28 Business card and BS29 White Board: does some reshaping of the boundary edge.

BS11 Green, BS12 Leaves, BS15 SunDown, BS25 MonoChrome, BS26 retro, BS27 Twilight: plays with filter colors.

I noticed that after the Best Shot selections, the users can still over-ride some of the settings.

What functions is the most useful feature to assigned onto the Left/Right arrow keys?

I have EV shift. I can't think of others. May be self-timers. Flash is already available.

Anyway, Feel free to coach me. I may miss something.
charles_tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:12 AM   #2

Im no expert and just got my hands on the cam too. i have assigned the focus to the left / right buttons as i find i use this feature more than the rest, i find that if anything is more than a few feet away the infinity focus gives alot more depth to the pics than autofocus, but autofocus is good for portrait shots etc. saying that i am still learning how to use the camera and have alot of questions myself. i would like to especially find out if there is any way to save the manual settings i.e. last week i was at a friends gig and I was quite close to the stage. I didn't want to put him off with the flash or af light so I turned them off. When I changed the bs setting to add effect they both turned backon which lead to the flash going off. I also herd there is a website with firmware updates for the z750 and the s500 which lets you have full manual control over the camera. I would like this a lot but am wary about how it will effect the camera and if it can be reversed if there are any problems.
gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:56 AM   #3

Get the shareware Bestman and make your own BS settings. There are limits to aperture and shutter speed accesses.

charles_tan is offline   Reply With Quote