Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Casio

Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:28 PM   #1

I was about to purchase the Casio Exilim EX-Z850... but the shop where I was going to buy it has made me an irresistible offer for the new model EX-Z1000. After a "Side-by-Side" review I need some advise on a few points which I don't understand. Could somebody please help with an advise?

EX-Z1000 EX-Z850

Digital Zoom Yes Yes, 8x

[The EX-Z1000 lacks this "8x" magnification. Is it better than the digital Zoom on the EX-Z850?]

Movie Clips Yes, 640x480, 320x240 MPEG-4 etc.

[The EX-Z1000 doesn't support MPEG4? Is this a bad thing compared to the EX-Z850? I thought that 640x480 is identical to MPEG-4…]

Viewfinder No Optical

[Meaning: Only the LCD at the back can be used on the EX-Z1000; Is this a disadvantage?]

Has the EX-Z1000 really all advantages over the older model? It would cost me virtually the same...

The reason why I am asking these questions is a pre-review by "KenRockwell.com". He says…

Some folks think this replaces the EX-Z850. I doubt it: the EX-Z1000 is missing the mode selection dial and the EX and Drive Mode direct-entry buttons. These buttons and dials of the EX-Z750 and EX-Z850 are critical to making the fast ISO / Qual / WB / etc. adjustments I demand.

I'm unsure if the EX-Z1000 simply requires us to work through menus as the EX-S600 does, or if the EX-Z1000 is going to do something very clever with the onscreen menus to replace the loss of these direct-entry dials and buttons.
srindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links