Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:42 AM   #1

Hi there,

I noticed these two orchid flowers on the branchand thought it would make a nice photo. I tried for different f-stops to get a good DOFand ended at f/14, ISO800, 1/200s, 105mm.

I like the colors, the light and the whole sight that single branch with just these two flowers. About 45 minutes later the whole scenery looked very different because the sun was also shining onto the left blossom then.

I tried to include the branch - leading towards the upper right corner but wanted it to blur to emphasize that "3d" feeling. This is no crop, just resized and a little touchup for forum use.

What do you think?

Yours,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2

Zig-zag twig ends with two beautiful flowers makes the whole composition worth the effort.You must have worked very hard on it & It shows. Excellent...(Just a wish,if left flower could have get bit more light to balance the well lit right flower,But I think I must be asking for too much in given scenario,isn't it?)
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:58 PM   #3

mcliu wrote:
Quote:
Zig-zag twig ends with two beautiful flowers makes the whole composition worth the effort.You must have worked very hard on it & It shows. Excellent...(Just a wish,if left flower could have get bit more light to balance the well lit right flower,But I think I must be asking for too much in given scenario,isn't it?)
I am sorry. As I said in my previous post the light changed quite fast and only a short while later I would have been able to take the shot you are asking for... but now it's too late. However I can try at another day with similar light

I'll keep you updated.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:45 AM   #4

OK - I had another idea. The right twin is at the south side so I doubt the left one will get enough light from the sun - and I won't turn the orchid just for a photo - not if my wife is near .

So I came up with some artificial light from a normal lamp - I don't have studio lights or the like at hand an after trying one shot with flash I immediately dumped that idea.

So this is almost at the same time as yesterday, with a second lightsource from the left. I won't do any WB on that picture - with two completely different lightsources there is nothing you can do. On the other hand - the different colors of the blossoms are a thing of it's own.

I had a hard time getting it right - with my new Tamron 70-300 lens attached things were a little... um, different. Furthermore I wanted to get a photo where both blossoms show the inner yellow part (whats the english word for it?).

Well - here you go, I hope you like it.

Thanks for pushing me to take another shot, I already like the outcome - what do you say? Like it or not? (ISO 800, 180mm, 1/60s, f/14, MF, manual WB, handheld)

As a sidenote... I tried the 1:2 macro capabilities of my 70-300mm lens and this is what the left twin blossom looks like at 300mm 1:2 macro, with flash:

You can see so many interesting things you may have never noticed before if you look at the world through a lens... isn't it amazing?

Yours,

Th.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:57 AM   #5

Things have improved.But your persistence to improve has impressed me a lot.Coincidentally I have purchased 70-300 Tamaron lens recently,But my venture with its "macro capabilities" is somewhat a disatrous.You have maintain the "DOF" in your last picture is admireable. :|
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:47 PM   #6

Many thanks for the kind words and the encouragement! There is a lot for me to learn and while it helps that I like taking photos it's always nice to get such apositive response!

I got some other photos to show more of the twins, at first the "left twin view":

It again took me quite some time to get it right, having a non-overexposed background, have the right f-stop to show both of thetwins plus another blurred orchid in the background.This is done with lot's of backlight and using the in-camera flash.

Later I found that the pictures I thought would be complete crap were even more interesting! Especially the completely overexposed ones (had trouble finding the right exposure) have "something". Look here, I call it "pink beauty":

Yes - that's how it came out of the camera with just the usual minor forum touchup. Completely overexposed plus too much flash... but I won't ever dump it! Is has it's own charme to me... minimalistic and soooo far away of what I normally do - but I like it. Also I like the composition here.

This is how things look from the other side, right twin:

It's around 12:30 now - very strong light from the sun which gives a complete different feeling.

Last but not least an experiment - I separated the green layer and blended it with "darken layer" at around 70% with an original macro shot, which gave me this. Again completely different:

That's all for today, am really tired - other things will have to wait until tomorrow *yawn*

I hope you like these too - have a nice evening!

Th.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:41 PM   #7

The close-ups into the flower are really special.

Note to self - have another bash at macro work..

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:30 AM   #8

Overexposed picture has eye catching capibilites.Quite an interesting set of pictures
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:38 PM   #9

I got a Pentax-A 50/1.7 today and looking for some things to take test shots I remembered the orchids... different lens, different light... and this time with a more shallow DOF. Here are two available-light shots (meaning no artificial light sources) for you. Enjoy!

The more shallow DOF makes for really different pictures... with it's own beauty.

Regards,

Th.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:08 AM   #10

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

thkn777

Very nice photos. Yes, sometimes it is worth the effort to work with an image...
My two favourites are the ones you posted

2007-03-30 23:38

Very, very nice. Three orchids in a row

Thanks for the flowers (smile)

/T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote