Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:58 PM   #1

Hello there,

I was able to get these shots with my Vivitar S1 70-210 lens and am very please with the performance of the lense so far. Can you please give an ID on the bee (or whatever that is)? It looks a bit strange to me, especially the eyes...

All shots are crops and I applied a little touch-up for forum use and to increase detail and sharpness (nothing too drastic, though). Shots taken in Av mode, manual focus.

#1 - bee(?) inflight - f/2.8, 210mm, 1/1000s. That little critter used to fly zig-zag patterns and then stop suddenly, hovering in the sky like a kolibri or helicopter. It reminded me of a dragonfly due to this behaviour. I had the lens at max zoom (210mm) and to freeze motion I went for f/2.8 - the shallow DOF was a challenge! I looked with "unarmed" eyes where it would stop, aim the camera, focussed (or tried at least) and snapped away. Not many keepers, but this one is great I think.

So what is it? The eyes look so HUGE and strange, it almost has a face like a cat/lion of some kind... am confused here.

#2 - wasp at lift off. It LOOKS like a frog in a wasp costume, right? (f/3.2, 210mm, 1/1250s)

#3 - peacock butterfly. This one was VERY shy and I almost went nuts because it always moved when I tried to get focus. (f/7.1, 210mm, 1/250s)

That's it - I hope you enjoyed the show... how do you like the pics?

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:15 PM   #2

Lovely pics. I know what you mean with the butterfly though. I have found it so hard to get back to manual focus lenses with something that moves!

Autofocus really makes you lazy!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 8:03 PM   #3

Cool captures!

I do not think #1/2 is a bee. I am no entomologist but IIRC bees have two pairs of wings. Flies, on the other hand, have only one pair of wings. Around here we would call that a "hoverfly". Here's an example:

http://whatdigitalcamera.com/albums/...y_Macro_01.jpg
smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:19 PM   #4

yep, i think it's a hoverfly too...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:32 AM   #5

Hello,
and thanks for looking and the comments!

As for the hoverfly... hm. I am not convinced yet. Do you know what puzzles me? It has this single-colored body/back. Shouldn't it be black/yellow?

I already did a "fly" search on google images but didn't saw anything with such a brownish fur-like back and then - those eyes! The "fur" reminds me more of a bumblebee, but bumblebees are like 3 times the size of these whatever-they-are-called.

Do you got any other links that come closer to #1 ???

#2 is a wasp I'd say. Sounds like wasp, cuts small pieces of wood - they for sure build a nest with that...
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:01 PM   #6

Th, you got yourself a nice lens to go with your obvious skill. That first picture is really interesting. Well done.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 2:41 PM   #7

WOW i like #2 a bunch!!!!!!!!1
matthew2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote