Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 6, 2007, 5:30 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
In general you can say, I think: The smaller camera, the less shallow depth of field
Time to be a little techie (but not too much as it is about 11.30pm.

Dof is a function of aperture, distance from subject and the 'real' focal length. The wider the aperture (smaller f number), the closer to the subject and the longer then lens then the more the dof is reduced.

As the 30D has a much larger sensor than the F20 then the focal length is longer meaning you will get the dof reduced.

In the examples posted both shots look to be from a similar distance and both have an aperture of f5.6 however on the 30D you have a focal length of 105mm and on the F20 it is only 8mm. You will really struggle at 8mm to get an noticeable reduction in dof.

I even notice the difference on my Canon 30D and the Canon 5D and am having to think about the settings I choose on the 5D as I'm so used now with the 1.6x crop. However, having full frame is wonderful :-)
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:08 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Mark1616

Yes; in short: if you really want shallow DOF - go for a full format camera.

(smile)

Possible discussion topic:

Shallow depth of field seems to me somewhat over estimated in close up photography.

Why shouldn´t we let ourselves see the mini landscape around for instance an insect or other plants surrounding the main object.

Educational purpose, yes, sometimes you want to separate your object from the background.

But there can certainly be other than educational purposes, for instance estethical and even epical.

Close up photo with a point and shoot/shoot and pray camera can be quite fun and sometimes give good results, I think

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:21 PM   #13

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bill43210

There is a man at dpreview, Eric, I think, who knows all about the settings for F20

/T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote