Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:53 AM   #11

DanWarner wrote:
Quote:
Just beautiful Jachol!!!! I've been trying to get some good insect shots like these for a while. Just having a hard time finding a good subject.... I swear the one time ya need em...
Hi Dan,

Well thanks for your comments. I've been trying for bees, but they're very lively, and I haven't been able to act fast enough to shoot them, Usually end up with a nice shot of a flower with the bee long gone. The hover flies are much easier to catch, need to set up a tripod, and wait for the bees. Lots of¬*bees incidentaly are reported to have died off in the UK, and it has been noticeable that the spirea hedge blossom (The pink flowers above)¬*which attracts them has¬*had much less activity.¬*BTW The shots above are all done handheld, using the focus trap technique. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:46 AM   #12

jachol wrote:
Quote:
DanWarner wrote:
Quote:
Just beautiful Jachol!!!! I've been trying to get some good insect shots like these for a while. Just having a hard time finding a good subject.... I swear the one time ya need em...
Hi Dan,

Well thanks for your comments. I've been trying for bees, but they're very lively, and I haven't been able to act fast enough to shoot them, Usually end up with a nice shot of a flower with the bee long gone. The hover flies are much easier to catch, need to set up a tripod, and wait for the bees. Lots ofbees incidentaly are reported to have died off in the UK, and it has been noticeable that the spirea hedge bloosom (The pink flowers above)which attracts them hashad much less activity.BTW The shots above are all done handheld, using the focus trap technique. ... Jack.
Hi Jack. That's rough. What do you account the drop in population to? Also I have never heard of the term "Focus Trap" before. But am I safe to assume its focusing and waiting for the subject to come in frame? That sure would be hard to pull off, especially with a DSLR. My compliments to your dedication!
-Dan

Oh and I forgot to ask. Are these images resized or cropped? I'd like very much to see some 80-100% crops of these shots.
DanWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:54 AM   #13

Quote :--
Hi Jack. That's rough. What do you account the drop in population to? Also I have never heard of the term "Focus Trap" before. But am I safe to assume its focusing and waiting for the subject to come in frame? That sure would be hard to pull off, especially with a DSLR. My compliments to your dedication!
-Dan
Oh and I forgot to ask. Are these images resized or cropped? I'd like very much to see some 80-100% crops of these shots.
[/quote]

Dan, I think I read in the newspaper that a virus was responsible for the decimation of the bee population, it's certainly made a difference in this area.
Re. focus trap ... it's a technique that takes advantage of the fact that most DSLRs will not trigger the shutter unless the shot is in focus when switched to AF. Even if your using a manual lens as I do (Prefer to focus manually anyway especially for macros) you can use the method ... either set the distance or magnification you want, then move in slowly on your subject with the camera shutter release fully pressed, when you get focus it triggers automatically, alternatively you can slowly turn the focus ring until focus is achieved, with the same result. It's not totally infallible ... a lot depends on available light and also the contrast of your subject with it's background. It's also better to setup your AF for centre spot, rather than an average of the whole scene.
Re. the pics they're just resized to approx 800 X 600 pixels, which if I remember rightly is recommended for this board. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote