Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1

Shot these in a small park in town the other day.

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:41 PM   #2

Old Nov 1, 2007, 11:43 PM   #3

Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:23 AM   #4

Hi Steve!

Wow, great colours. And as it's spring here in Australia (and generally as only our "imported" trees / plants share the autumn colours you show)... it's nice to see your photos. As I love geography, and as I understand... you'd have a later and possibly longer autumn time there in California than other (colder/interior) parts of the US?

I've heard that various parts of California are very similar to some parts of Australia (as some of my Aussie friends have lived in / visited there). Here in Adelaide we have a very pleasant Mediterranean climate... mild winters around 15 degrees celsius with the majority of the rain then. Spring and autumn around 20 - 25 degrees celsius and long warm to hot summer temperatures averaging 30 celsius.

So how long do you get fall (autumn) colours for?

I especially like the first and third photos.

First photo is especially great as the red leaves stand out so beauitfully against the dark green foilage / blurred background. AND actually as the tips of these leaves are already changing colour (again)... that adds special "natural" character imho!

Third photo presents a wonderful hue of yellow.... however the "only" slightly annoying thing for me is that the bottom of the leaf is out of focus (oof) while the top is sharp. Maybe you could have changed your shooting angle to get all of the leaf in focus (more parallel to you).. or even just "bent" the leaf down a bit... but that's just subjective and very minor.

Thanks for your post!!

Regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 1:03 PM   #5

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve!

Wow, great colours. And as it's spring here in Australia (and generally as only our "imported" trees / plants share the autumn colours you show)... it's nice to see your photos. As I love geography, and as I understand... you'd have a later and possibly longer autumn time there in California than other (colder/interior) parts of the US?

I've heard that various parts of California are very similar to some parts of Australia (as some of my Aussie friends have lived in / visited there). Here in Adelaide we have a very pleasant Mediterranean climate... mild winters around 15 degrees celsius with the majority of the rain then. Spring and autumn around 20 - 25 degrees celsius and long warm to hot summer temperatures averaging 30 celsius.

So how long do you get fall (autumn) colours for?

I especially like the first and third photos.

First photo is especially great as the red leaves stand out so beauitfully against the dark green foilage / blurred background. AND actually as the tips of these leaves are already changing colour (again)... that adds special "natural" character imho!

Third photo presents a wonderful hue of yellow.... however the "only" slightly annoying thing for me is that the bottom of the leaf is out of focus (oof) while the top is sharp. Maybe you could have changed your shooting angle to get all of the leaf in focus (more parallel to you).. or even just "bent" the leaf down a bit... but that's just subjective and very minor.

Thanks for your post!!

Regards

Paul
Hi Paul,
Thank you for your compliments and critiques. I also enjoy hearing what other think. I agree that I missed the focus a little on that yellow leaf. I was standing on my tip toes trying to get a better look at the leaf and I couldn't really tell what my camera was focusing on. I guess I just missed the sweet spot.

The great thing about California is that you can find a match for just about any climate in the world. There are deserts and galciers, alpine forest and wide open agricultual valleys. There are temperate rain forests with giant Sequoia redwoods and coastal beaches. I really enjoy the fact that I can reach any of them with a maximum 4 hour drive, most of them less. It's a great place to visit and to live.

Our climate is very much the same as yours. We get a few degress colder in the winter and during our summer months we average in the up 30's C with at least one or two stretches in the lower 40's C. Definitely a cooker.

I would say that the leaves generally start turning color in mid to late October and are pretty much done by the end of November. There are a couple of species that get their color in mid November but they are the exception. It's a variety of flowering plumb I think.

Anyway, good to hear about your neck of the woods. I would love to make a trip down under some day. I have always been fascinated with your goepraphy, your wildlife.

Cheers,
Steve