Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:49 PM   #1

Spring has finally arrived in Eastern Washington and the sagebrush hills are covered with the early wildflowers. I thought I would shared a couple with you that Icame across on a Spring hike in the Sagebrush Steppe- Bruce

Agroup of Grass Widows, a very fragile little wildflower.

ASagebrush Buttercup I found along the trail. There were thousands of these in bloom.

The camera is a Pentax DL with an M50-f4 macro lens.

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:09 AM   #2

Very nice, Bruce. I really like the shot of the Grass Widows. There would be a temptation to close crop on the bloom on these flowers, but I think you were wise to resist it. The long, slender stem really makes the explosion of color at the top very effective.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:20 AM   #3

Very nice indeed Bruce!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:57 AM   #4

wow i really like the purple ones! great shots!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:17 PM   #5

Here's one more of the Grass Widows I took yesterday at a different location. They are really one of the prettiest of the early Spring wildflowers in the sagebrush country here. They tend to like the shallow rocky groundthat does not support the big sagebrush, but they grow by the1000's once you find them, along with the Buttercups- Bruce

Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:14 AM   #6

Interesting flowers, beautiful color. I thought they looked like something that would grow from a bulb, so I googled the name and found that they are related to Irises, so they must have a bulb, and must grow where it is at least seasonally wet. I don't think they reach this far south, so they are a new one on me. Thanks for posting them.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:34 AM   #7

Penolta - They are early wildflowers usually found on hilltops that are still moist in ground we call Lithosol, which basically is rocky shallow ground (like that in my avatar). Many of the wild onions like this type of soil too. Usually, Tall Sagebrush does not grow in this type of soil, so it is easy to spot from a distance areas to look for these types of wildflowers.

As soon as the ground drys outafter the snow melt, usually in early April here, they go dormant for another year. Like many wildflowers, they only bloom for a week or two in early Spring when the ground is still moist, but they bloom in mass, covering the hilltop with lavendar color- Bruce