Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:41 PM   #1

OK - I messed up the settings here so I was about to delete them right away, but then I thought for that shallow DOF they came out really well and think of them as a "portrait" of that fly now. They are soft, but that's ok for f/2.8 on a 2x macro TC I think.

Have fun:

I tried to sharpen/refocus but that destroys the blossoms too much, unfortunately...

Regards,
Th.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:18 PM   #2

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
OK - I messed up the settings here so I was about to delete them right away, but then I thought for that shallow DOF they came out really well and think of them as a "portrait" of that fly now. They are soft, but that's ok for f/2.8 on a 2x macro TC I think.

Have fun:

I tried to sharpen/refocus but that destroys the blossoms too much, unfortunately...

Regards,
Th.
Like these pictures very much. Have some similar. Try Insect sharpen :-) (Smart sharpen) in Photoshop (CS3). It will leave the petals blurred of course and won´t create too much contrast

Torgny

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:45 PM   #3

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Like these pictures very much. Have some similar. Try Insect sharpen :-) (Smart sharpen) in Photoshop (CS3). It will leave the petals blurred of course and won´t create too much contrast

Torgny
@Torgny
Thanks for the comments and the idea! Well... I don't use PS and my "adaptive sharpen" wasn't very succesful to be honest. Very small amounts of any sharpen create a posterized look on the petals for some reason, so I had no chance but to bite the bullet and selected the fly with lasso and used some heavy sharpen. No real layer works - so there is still room for improvement when it comes to a print. (which is very unlikely for these, anyway)

Here is the result:

Quite an improvement - eh? The only drawback is, that those partial sharpen approaches almost always leave an "unbalanced" image (to my mind) - but you are right - in the case of that very shallow DOF nobody will probably notice.

How do you like this version?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:59 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

Torgny
@Torgny
Thanks for the comments and the idea! Well... I don't use PS and my "adaptive sharpen" wasn't very succesful to be honest. Very small amounts of any sharpen create a posterized look on the petals for some reason, so I had no chance but to bite the bullet and selected the fly with lasso and used some heavy sharpen. No real layer works - so there is still room for improvement when it comes to a print. (which is very unlikely for these, anyway)

Here is the result:

Quite an improvement - eh? The only drawback is, that those partial sharpen approaches almost always leave an "unbalanced" image (to my mind) - but you are right - in the case of that very shallow DOF nobody will probably notice.

How do you like this version?
Great. The precice amount of sharpening / background blurr (what an uggly word) Very tasteful pictures, simplicity always pays. Precision work - you can see the mouth parts.

There is no self end in extreme sharpness or in background softness

You are right, there should be a balance between sharpness and background softness. You have done it. I'll be glad to follow your quest. Trying the same as you

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:15 PM   #5

@Torgny
yay - thanks! I'll follow that route then for a while ...

Btw - I made another post with new pics and another postprocessing workflow - be my guest if you like.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6

You have really gotten the detail with out excessive brightness. Good job. I am still trying to do that.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:43 PM   #7

I don't know how sharp your macro lens is, but to gain a bit of depth of field, shot at the highest possible f stop. If thepicture is not sharp or not focused properly to begin with, CS3 will not be able to sharpen the image. The attached image was shot at f6.3 - 1/40 s.Hope this will help.

Emmanuel
Attached Images

Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:51 PM   #8

Thats one of the nicest shots Ive seen of a fly Mcnite. The problem with macro closeups is the very short DOF. But you have done a good job here. Lucky to get a side profile of the horrible looking creature.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote