Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:19 PM   #11

Hi Katie, You are right, the difference in picture quality is probably very little between the XT & XTi. If your main interest is shooting very small objects like insects, the extra megapixels (12) that the XSi has verses the 8 that the XT has would come in handy for cropping purposes, which enlarges the subject event more. Oherwise, the XT is a very good camera. I had one before I got my XTi. I must admit, if had the money, I'd upgrade to the XSi, but I like new toys. I've seen excellent work from people with older cameras.It really comes down mostly to solid technique and having an eye for composition more than the gear in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:54 AM   #12

That helps!

Thanks so much Bob,

Katie
KatieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:01 PM   #13

Katie:
I have a different suggestion. Check out my spider picture at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=126981 The body of this guy was only about 3mm long. It was taken by the Digiscope method. My equipment is a point and shoot Canon A-720 camera, an Orion astro Expanse 20mm eyepiece, and Nikon Plan 2.5X microscope lens. The eyepiece and Nikon lens are part of an assembly at connects to the bayonet base on the camera. While you are there, check out my several posts (too many) at this Digiscope site.

I tried to use a DSLR with my telescopes and microscope but could not get sharp enough pictures. I get much better quality by Digiscoping. Some people do quick and dirty shots by holding a suitable camera to the eyepiece of a telescope, or microscope. I have fabricated firm supports for good quality.

This Canon A-720 and the new A-650 (12 meg) get very close macro pictures with no attachments. My 720 gets closer than 1 inch. I have produced some detailed information with pictures of my equipment (taken apart) for someone else. If you are interested get back to me at Smithhill1@Embarqmail.com, or on this site and I will be glad to send it to you or post it on the Digiscope and Microscopic site.

Gene Smith, of Central Ohio, USA.
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:23 PM   #14

First, Bob's fly photo is excellent! I've tried macro photography with DSLRs using telephoto lenses with diopter lenses attached with moderate success, and using telephoto lenses with extension tubes with much better success. But I'd like to get even closer, without getting significantly physically closer.

Gene9 wrote:
Quote:
Katie:
I have a different suggestion. Check out my spider picture at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=126981 The body of this guy was only about 3mm long. It was taken by the Digiscope method. My equipment is a point and shoot Canon A-720 camera, an Orion astro Expanse 20mm eyepiece, and Nikon Plan 2.5X microscope lens. The eyepiece and Nikon lens are part of an assembly at connects to the bayonet base on the camera. While you are there, check out my several posts (too many) at this Digiscope site....

Gene Smith, of Central Ohio, USA.
Now, that's close! I'd like more info on how to do that. I'll be writing you, Gene. I'm in Ohio also.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote