Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:31 PM   #1

Default water drop help!!

i am having a hard time getting a water drop to drop in a bowl and get the drop in mid air with the "splash trail" from bottom
does any one have any tips or websites i can visit?
thanks !!!!
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:33 PM   #2

oh ya, i am useing a 7hi with external flash and two floresent lights on stands
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:26 PM   #3

Hi Bradg -

You will never be able to time a particular drop. I simply shoot 10 pictures in a row, then review them, correct focus, and shoot another 10. After about 100 I was able to get these results:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=15232

The above link is from an earlier post.

I did not use very much external light. Only enough so I could see my image for framing. My flash stoped the action. With too much light, even at 1000th of a second, you will get blur in the drops.

Good luck and post your results! I look forward to seeing them.

Darrell

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:42 PM   #4
djb

do you have some sort of continuous mode of shooting where you can shoot 5 to 10 pics in a row?? how about a vga movie mode and then use the individual frames as pictures?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:58 PM   #5

No continous mode. I just press the button as quickly as I can and fire off a bunch of shots. Eventually, you will get lucky and get some good ones.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:59 PM   #6

yes i do have a drive mode but it was dark out side and my flash could not keep up
i see what you are saying about the blur in over-exposed pictures
here is a link to my very first atempt but keep in mind that i have not had any time to edit them they are 100% straigt from the camera, not even cropping!
some (most) are over-exposed some under, and all are some what blury

http://www.pbase.com/bradgg/waterdrops

f/2.4
1/750
100 iso
manual focus(that might be a problem)

these where shot yesterday at 9:30 about it was dark out but i had to try 8)
tomorrow i will try your tips when it is light out
shoud i still use a flash even when it is light out?
i had a bright light on the background (flag) and i think it was a little to bright, i will work on that
thanks alot!!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:13 PM   #7

Some of your shots are near EXCEPTIONAL!! I love the background. All you need is a little better focus. I had my camera in manual focus and I just placed an object where the water would be falling to focus on. Then I removed the object for the shots. I think I used the tip of a pen or even my finger.

Yes, day or night, you need a flash. If you look at my link above, you may be able to tell that some of the images were taken in the day and some at night. They were all taken in the same location. I just used my on-camera flash, bouncing it off a white piece of paper. Because I was so close to my subject, my camera would only use maybe 10% or 20% of the flash power, so I could continue shooting several images without the need for the flash to recharge.

One difference between our drops: I had my water pretty much continously running. The drops were VERY close together, which increased my odds of getting one in mid air, but it made my water rougher.

Darrell
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:28 PM   #8
djb

excellent attempts!!! the focus is a tad forward of the drops. even though they are a bit underexposed, i'm sure you could get a lot out of them in a photoeditor.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:21 PM   #9

thnks for your help!
i tried again with most of the same problems
sooo... i had an idea, i am going to get a stand with a arm the goes out like an upsidedown "L" then i will hang a string with a knot over the bowl, focus on the knot manually, remove the string and clamp a water droper with constent preasure on the sides(a dropping bottle, not a little eye doper thing) so that the drops fall in the exact place the string was, (get the idea yet? :lol: ) the camera will be on a tri-pod so the drops fall in focus, cool ah??
this prevents (almost prevents) me from doing it by hand and the drops going every where
tomorow i will set it all up and try to perfect it then post my pictures

i guess good pictures take a while to get

thanks for every ones help!!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:57 PM   #10

No wonder you are having problems and I had success. I had an unfair advantage. I'm using water running out of a kitchen sink and you are using an eye-dropper!! I like your idea of using a string to focus on, but why not use a garden hose instead of a dropper? You can hang it up high, set the flow how you like it, and just shoot those drops as they land?

Darrell