Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:19 PM   #11

OK I got exif data in the second one but not the first, and I resized them the same, now I am confused
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:42 AM   #12

Good pictures. Don't know what happened to the EXIF in the first - maybe you inadvertently clicked the wrong command, but no matter as the second one shows it can work properly. I thought you were using your p&s, but I see you have a Sony a300 - I have an a350 which is even noisier - I have more difficulty controlling noise with it than with my Pentaxes.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:49 AM   #13

[QUOTE=Hawgwild;977219]...I resized one in pse 4 and it retained the exif data, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for five or six photos.../QUOTE]

If you install the excellent 'Irfanview' and its plugins, by the friendly & helpful Irfan Skiljan, (http://www.irfanview.net/), its 'Thumbnails' facility, with built-in batch processing, allows you to do it all in one go. It's free, apart from a voluntary donation, which the author richly deserves.

I use it , sometimes on dozens of images at a time, to produce my own web galleries. It's extraordinarily fully featured, but the defaults are often fine. I add a bit of automatic sharpening, because many images lose sharpness on resizing.

However, when I'm being fussy, I do the sharpening by eye at the correct viewing size, using Paint Shop Pro v7, which loses the exif data as you did. Irfanview will export the data to the clipboard for pasting into your message when you think it's relevant.

Good luck
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Good pictures. Don't know what happened to the EXIF in the first - maybe you inadvertently clicked the wrong command, but no matter as the second one shows it can work properly. I thought you were using your p&s, but I see you have a Sony a300 - I have an a350 which is even noisier - I have more difficulty controlling noise with it than with my Pentaxes.
My old Nikon D50 would handle iso 1600 in style, but this A 300 has trouble with 400, in the shadows.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:23 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Alan T;977603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
...I resized one in pse 4 and it retained the exif data, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for five or six photos.../QUOTE]

If you install the excellent 'Irfanview' and its plugins, by the friendly & helpful Irfan Skiljan, (http://www.irfanview.net/), its 'Thumbnails' facility, with built-in batch processing, allows you to do it all in one go. It's free, apart from a voluntary donation, which the author richly deserves.

I use it , sometimes on dozens of images at a time, to produce my own web galleries. It's extraordinarily fully featured, but the defaults are often fine. I add a bit of automatic sharpening, because many images lose sharpness on resizing.

However, when I'm being fussy, I do the sharpening by eye at the correct viewing size, using Paint Shop Pro v7, which loses the exif data as you did. Irfanview will export the data to the clipboard for pasting into your message when you think it's relevant.

Good luck
Alan, thank you for the link and the info, I am always willing to try something else, so I will give this a serious look. I have heard about irfanview for years but haven't thought about it lately. Robert
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:27 AM   #16

I know we are all always still learning but at the level of your macros, you could teach a lot of us. Beautiful shots. A pleasure to look at.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carylwithay View Post
I know we are all always still learning but at the level of your macros, you could teach a lot of us. Beautiful shots. A pleasure to look at.
Caryl
Caryl, those are very kind words, and only inspire me to improve...thank you very much..Robert
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Had the weekend off so I grabbed the dog and my camera and went "hunting". Please enjoy and offer criticism/comment, I am trying to learn to do macros. Thanks, Robert

Tiny green fly

Robert
Nice work Hawg,
the first one reminded me of one I took last year...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:37 PM   #19

GW, I think these flies must be the same species, or at least related..

Robert