Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Jun 13, 2009, 9:32 PM   #1

Default More insects from today

Had the weekend off so I grabbed the dog and my camera and went "hunting". Please enjoy and offer criticism/comment, I am trying to learn to do macros. Thanks, Robert

Tiny green fly

Small wasp, having lunch

Small Butterfly, not sure what kind...

Robber Fly

Another Dragonfly

Thanks for lookin', it was fun shootin' these,

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:27 PM   #2

Your subjects are done well - impressive - nice and sharp, but the backgrounds of the first four suffer - If your image processing software lets you, you need to use denoising and/or despeckling. There are several noise reduction programs available that can help, too. If you use the "save" function of your processing software, rather than "save for the internet," the EXIF information will be preserved, and we could be of more help with that information available.

Point and shoot cameras have small sensors that tend to be very noisy, especially at high ISOs, so you need to be aware of the pitfalls in using one - it is manageable, so don't give up. DSLRs have larger sensors that are less prone to be that noisy, but none are perfect yet.

Your butterfly is a Gray Hairstreak.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:44 PM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Robert,

Excellent photos of some of our little friends, all of them. And the pictures also have obvious artistic qualities and furthermore some of them show a bit of the habitat; not that common in insect macro photo

My favourite is the first. I amused myself with a tighter, portrait format crop. Hope you like it

Torgny
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Jun 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Your subjects are done well - impressive - nice and sharp, but the backgrounds of the first four suffer - If your image processing software lets you, you need to use denoising and/or despeckling. There are several noise reduction programs available that can help, too. If you use the "save" function of your processing software, rather than "save for the internet," the EXIF information will be preserved, and we could be of more help with that information available.

Point and shoot cameras have small sensors that tend to be very noisy, especially at high ISOs, so you need to be aware of the pitfalls in using one - it is manageable, so don't give up. DSLRs have larger sensors that are less prone to be that noisy, but none are perfect yet.

Your butterfly is a Gray Hairstreak.
Penolta, Thank you for your kind words and insightful critique. I must take issue with your obsrvation of noise in the first four. There was actually noise in the first five. I think the reason for the noise was a combination of over-cropping and shooting at iso 400 on all but the last photo. The robber fly was lit by the on-board flash, and the dragonfly was shot at iso 100.

The reason there is no exif info on my pictures has to do with the way I post them. I copy the size I want to post from flickr and then paste in the message box. Exif data is stripped. I post this way because it is the only way I know to post multiple photos without replying to myself time after time. I'm open to suggestions there.

I did take the first one back to pse 4 and despeckled it, and discovered I had degraded the fly, so I went back, selected the fly, and only despeckled the background. It worked, but would have been better had I done all at the same setting. Anyway, thanks to your heads up on the noise, I will watch what I am doing a little closer next time...Robert
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:49 PM   #5

Quote:
I post this way because it is the only way I know to post multiple photos without replying to myself time after time. I'm open to suggestions there.
Actually, the new forum software allows you to post up to 12 attachments uploaded directly from your computer (JimC raised the limit from the smaller default number). Big improvement over the old program's one at a time limit.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 6:54 PM   #6

I know this is going to sound dumb (when I was born, the earth was still flat), but do the pics have to be resized before you upload them? I resized one in pse 4 and it retained the exif data, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for five or six photos..

Robert
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Robert,

Excellent photos of some of our little friends, all of them. And the pictures also have obvious artistic qualities and furthermore some of them show a bit of the habitat; not that common in insect macro photo

My favourite is the first. I amused myself with a tighter, portrait format crop. Hope you like it

Torgny
Hi Torgny, thank you for looking and your kind words are an encouragement to do better. I like the crop, it draws more attention to the face.. I am not a bug shooter, but I am having a good time poking around in the weeds. You get some funny looks sometimes.. Robert
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
I know this is going to sound dumb (when I was born, the earth was still flat), but do the pics have to be resized before you upload them? I resized one in pse 4 and it retained the exif data, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for five or six photos..
Robert
You mean to tell me that the Earth really is not flat?

They do have to be resized. I do it routinely in PSE, so it seems like second nature. Seems like a small price to pay for being able to post photos so easily on the forum. However, there are photo resizing programs (some freeware or shareware) that can do it in fewer steps.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:54 PM   #9

QUOTE=penolta;977253]You mean to tell me that the Earth really is not flat?

They do have to be resized. I do it routinely in PSE, so it seems like second nature. Seems like a small price to pay for being able to post photos so easily on the forum. However, there are photo resizing programs (some freeware or shareware) that can do it in fewer steps.[/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure, but I've heard it was round or egg shaped or turtle shaped

OK, I will do it the "hard way", it shouldn't be too bad after doing a few, I'm sure it will become second nature. Anyway, I find myself checking the exif data on a lot of photos here and there, so I should just get with the program. Thanks for the info...Robert
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:16 PM   #10

OK, Penolta, here goes...two more from today, hopefully with exif data intact, and ...

Dragonfly
Attached Images

Last edited by Hawgwild; Jun 14, 2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: bad spelling