Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:57 PM   #1

Default Marine Blue (tiny butterfly)

This is probably the last "new" backyard butterfly for this year, and the tiniest I have ever photographed. These little things have been darting about the yard for some time, but are so fast and erratic that they can hardly be followed with the naked eye, and never stay put in one place long enough to even approach close enough to identify. It was pure chance that I got this one, and I almost got one with the wings spread, but it got "bounced" by one of the ever present fritillaries that chase everything (including each other). I thought these were the Gray Hairstreaks that we have had in the past, but the sunlight was so bright that I failed to realize it wasn't until I looked at the pictures. This is a Marine Blue (named for the color of the upper side, not the ocean), which according to the guides, measure across the spread wings from 5/8" to 1" (15-25.4mm), so with wings folded would be a little more than half that in height at right angles to the body (a point above the notch in the margin between the two wings). I don't know where in that range this one falls. It is sitting on what is left of one of the last roses of the sumer. Sony a350 with Sigma 180mm f5.6 macro APO.

Name:  DSC00598r2a.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  DSC00596r1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  64.7 KB
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2009, 7:56 PM   #2

Wassa matta? Couldn't pick a nice flower to shoot this guy on?

It's against my moral, political and religious beliefs to shoot any butterfly smaller than a Monarch. Besides this guy is a fair immitation of a ghost...

(Nice shots)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Wassa matta? Couldn't pick a nice flower to shoot this guy on?

It's against my moral, political and religious beliefs to shoot any butterfly smaller than a Monarch. Besides this guy is a fair immitation of a ghost...

(Nice shots)

Dave
I don't think a ghost can move as fast as this does. Of all the times I have watched it darting around, this is the only time I have seen it sitting still when it was close enough to grab a shot or two. I was more interested in the butterfly than its perch - it was that or nothing. I takes 'em as I sees 'em.

Thanks (I think).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I don't think a ghost can move as fast as this does. Of all the times I have watched it darting around, this is the only time I have seen it sitting still when it was close enough to grab a shot or two. I was more interested in the butterfly than its perch - it was that or nothing. I takes 'em as I sees 'em.

Thanks (I think).
It's thanks, it's thanks! Wonderful shots!

And it is a spooky little guy if you look at with my eyes. Your description of their antics, proves it!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote