Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:17 PM   #1

Default Black peppercorn

taken with sony a100, sigma 70-300, macro @ 70mm,f4, 1/125sec, spot metering, & flash, + 7xmagnifing filters

Last edited by donp; Nov 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM. Reason: add text
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:22 PM   #2

Hi donp

Very interesting to see a peppercorn up close and personal like this. (I love pepper).

The outside fringing (CA) does distract from the quality of the photo somewhat though, imho

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:08 PM   #3

Thanks Paul, I put pepper on everything! I was just expiermenting with the magnifying filters and used a flash so that caused the shadows. I didn't try to remove them,
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:27 PM   #4

Hi donp,
I've seen other photos you've taken so, I know you generally take much better than this one. Just so you know, I'm not criticizing your skills, its just that you'll never be able to get really great macro shots with add on lenses or filters, you really do need a true macro prime lens to get satisfying pix.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments, Goldwinger. I wasn't really trying to get a good shot here, it was the first time I ever used those magnifying filters and I don't like them. I just laid the peppercorn on a sheet of white paper and used the flash so that's why the bottom shadow. Has you ever used those filters? I got them cheap but I doubt that I'll use them again.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
Thanks for your comments, Goldwinger. I wasn't really trying to get a good shot here, it was the first time I ever used those magnifying filters and I don't like them. I just laid the peppercorn on a sheet of white paper and used the flash so that's why the bottom shadow. Has you ever used those filters? I got them cheap but I doubt that I'll use them again.

I understand what you were doing donp, and I have don the same myself.
I only tried the macro filters once at a local camera shop and decided they weren't going to work for what I wanted so I passed on getting them. Since then I have seen a a lot of negative post on different forums so, I'm glad I passed. if you are really serious about getting into macro work, it can be a lot of fun and very rewarding but, you'll need to invest in a good macro lens.
that doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend a lot of money, just keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one. I got a Tamron SP90 for $90 usd. One word of caution, just because it says macro on the lens, doesn't mean its a true macro. a telephoto/macro only means it will focus up close but it won't give you the sharp detail like a "prime" macro lens will. The various macros can be anywhere from a true 1:1 ratio to a 1:5 ratio. The good ones are 1:1 or 1:2. do all the research you can before doling out the cash and don't be afraid to ask questions here on the forum, I have found most folks here are more than willing to pass along the knowledge they have so, good luck and don't give up!

Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7

Thanks for the info! I'm looking into some lenses. What mm would you recommend? I have a Sony a100 and was pricing the 90 f2.8. I'm not in any hurry so I'll do a lot of research first.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 5:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm looking into some lenses. What mm would you recommend? I have a Sony a100 and was pricing the 90 f2.8. I'm not in any hurry so I'll do a lot of research first.
Sorry to take so long to reply donp, been really busy!
The 90mm is a good choice, its what I use also. Not that means anything special, just that I like it.

Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:35 AM   #9

Looks like a kidney stone.. lol. ouch.
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote