Views: 124
Size:  49.0 KB

To see the whole story, go to this thread in the Pentax DSLR Forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-mushroom.html
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:55 PM   #2

Well done Penolta.
(I actually posted a reply about an hour ago, but it went into the Great Ether, and is now one with the universe. Someone else replied as well... )

These mushrooms are either a member of the Coprinus or Panaeolus Family of mushrooms. Both have blackish brown spoors. The chief difference is that the Coprinus mushrooms deliquesces. The Coprinus have many edible members (Shaggy Manes are well known) while the Panaeolus are all marked as poisonius. Of course the actual poison is psylocybin...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:58 PM   #3

Thanks, Dave, for commenting. Strange how that happens - maybe the other commenter will repost. Thanks for the info - I might guess these little nocturnal ephemeral guys are either too easily overlooked or too insignificant to appear in the guides. I'm not adventurous enough to taste one to find out!

Last edited by penolta; Feb 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Thanks, Dave, for commenting. Strange how that happens - maybe the other commenter will repost. Thanks for the info - I might guess these little nocturnal ephemeral guys are either too easily overlooked or too insignificant to appear in the guides. I'm not adventurous enough to taste one to find out!
"Edible" is a relative term. If you have to collect a couple of hundred for one bite...

On the other hand, if their the other kind, then it might be worth it.

Coprinus (The Inky Caps) is a family with some large edible mushrooms. One of the best is actually an alchohol antagonist (Coprinus Atramentarius) and some books call it poisonius. If you drink alcohol within 24 hours, you get sick. I've eaten it many times.

It's not a good idea to taste ANY mushroom that you are unfamiliar with. Even a taste of [I]some[I] mushrooms can be fatal. I kid you not.

Mushrooms are fascinating in their variety and their characteristics. Heck, Truffles sell for their weight in gold.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Well done Penolta.
(I actually posted a reply about an hour ago, but it went into the Great Ether, and is now one with the universe. Someone else replied as well... )

. . . the Panaeolus are all marked as poisonius. Of course the actual poison is psylocybin...

Dave
Psylocybin? yes, indeed - these mushrooms must be hallucinogenic - you claim to have posted a reply in this thread that disappeared, and I posted a reply to your comment in the other thread and it disappeared, too! H-m-m-m . . . .