Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:58 AM   #11

Silver Dollar Plant though they are not a s round could be from some difference in the mineral in the soil.... use to pick them at my uncles house when he lived in Ballard behing Seven Eleven on 85th... we thought we were rich...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
imut,

If you're going Canon I can highly recommend the affordable EF-S lense 55-250. Very sharp and effective lens stabilisation

Torgny
Currently i have fz 38, i am learning digital photography right now. But if i would go with DSLR next year. Canon could be my primer chooice and i will ask for your suggestion again
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:37 PM   #13

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Silver Dollar Plant though they are not a s round could be from some difference in the mineral in the soil.... use to pick them at my uncles house when he lived in Ballard behing Seven Eleven on 85th... we thought we were rich...
SSG,

Thank you. I'll try to find the latin name and then ask the lucky people at the Botanical Garden

You felt rich - then you were rich, and still are in your paradise

And when the paradise is lost we'll help pushing up the daisies

//T

Last edited by Torgny; Mar 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:42 PM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Currently i have fz 38, i am learning digital photography right now. But if i would go with DSLR next year. Canon could be my primer chooice and i will ask for your suggestion again
imut,

There are few limits to what you can do with the Panasonic. There's nothing magical abour SLRs. Good luck

//T
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:42 PM   #15

Nice shot ! We used to have these in our garden, in Holland. In Dutch called "Judaspenning" translates as "Judas' coins"
Latin : Lunaria Annua
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunaria_annua
"In Denmark it is known as Judaspenge and in The Netherlands as Judaspenning (coins of Judas) because of its resemblance to silver coins, a reference to Judas Iscariot"
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsjiaotai View Post
Nice shot ! We used to have these in our garden, in Holland. In Dutch called "Judaspenning" translates as "Judas' coins"
"In Denmark it is known as Judaspenge and in The Netherlands as Judaspenning (coins of Judas) because of its resemblance to silver coins, a reference to Judas Iscariot"
Oh! good old 'Honesty'. Well you certainly gave this humble little garden plant the royal treatment with the way you presented the seed pods in your excellent pic Torgny.

Bernice
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsjiaotai View Post

tsjiaotai,

Thank you, you led me in the right direction. There is the name "Judaspenningar" also in my language, exactly the same.

With this as your help I did a search and found that these are not leaves at all, they are fruit covers. And they may be, not the annua, but the Lunaria rediviva L., with less round shape.

They are called Månviol (Moon Violet) over here. but it has nothing to do with the violet family

What do you think?

Torgny
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
Oh! good old 'Honesty'. Well you certainly gave this humble little garden plant the royal treatment with the way you presented the seed pods in your excellent pic Torgny.

Bernice

Bernice,

Thank you for the compliment, seed pods was the expression I was searching for in my reply to tsjiaotai

What do you think, annua or rediviva or ...`?

Just for reference

http://images.google.se/imgres?imgur...26tbs%3Disch:1

Torgny

PS

Still the title is valid. Winter leaves and spring comes

Last edited by Torgny; Mar 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Bernice,

What do you think, annua or rediviva or ...`?

Torgny
After chasing up 'Lunaria' on the web I opted for rediviva the perennial variety. Here 'Honesty' seed pods are used in dried flower arrangements.

Bernice
Old Mar 10, 2010, 7:45 PM   #20

Glad I could help ; they are indeed seed covers ; there's an outer (darker) skin, and the seeds are stuck on both sides of the transparant 'coin'. This transparant is left, as the seeds fall down to the ground ( the coins start out green in color with the seeds visably inside). I loved to photograph these in my parents' garden !
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote