Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Close-ups

Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Default 3 pollen gatherers

3 different insects all doing the same job took this afternoon my last macro uploads for a while i hope you enjoyed my recent close up adventures as i have enjoyed the learning curve over the weekend your safe now i wont overload the forum with more threads LOL this being the fourth in 24 hours

1)

2)

3)

Last edited by simple; Aug 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:39 AM   #2

congrats on the first pic (i know just how hard it is getting insects in flight)
the butterfly is ok but not as good as the others youve posted
the last one is great, i really like it, just a thought but have you considered displaying it in portrait ?
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

i have flipped it and had a look but i think the lanscape looks better ?

thanks for your comments
Old Aug 3, 2010, 8:46 AM   #4

I have recently purchased a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX Macro lens for closeups. Still cannot get pictures that I am looking for.... My question may sound stupid but would request all to please advice so that we improve our photography.

1. Do you use F2.8 or I can even go to 3 or 3.2 >

2. What should be the disctance from the tip of the lens to the subject to get a perfect focus.

3. If the light is reasonable do I still need a tripod ? ( For such pictures a tripod is difficult to use as the insect dose not stay too long).

Please advice....

Thanks
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:43 PM   #5

hi mate..... im not the best macro shooter , i can tell you i have a 90mm macro lens i dont always max the zoom i sometimes may go half way then crop the image to the appropiate size like all shots above ..... all my macro shots are currently free hand (no tripod) but i might take 60 and end up with 10 keepers due to focus and camera shake as for the f number i start high and work my way down on the above i started about f11 to f5.x this always changes but if i find a bush plant with plenty of activity you have time to adjust ..... if i fetch something home to practice on i use a tripod and go even higher with the f number as i have lighting to compensate and sometimes put a raynox 250 on the end of my macro lens to extremly close...... i have just ordered a monopod to see if it makes life easier while out and about

also dont forget about processing the first two shots here have zero pp .... the bee hell yeah and what a difference it has made from the original.

Last edited by simple; Aug 3, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6

Simon, You're giving away all our secrets!

Actually,
hanalwala. We don't mind at all. I started out using a 50mm prime with a Vivitar 2X macro focusing TC. It did a pretty good job but, wanting better shots I went to the Tamron SP 90mm macro and that was a fantastic lens. I had to sell it a while back so now I'm using my Tamron SP 28-80mm macro plus the TC for a total of 160mm and if I'm using the tripod and can get very close, I'll add the Raynox 250. I almost always use my ext flash with a defuser. Often times I'll stop down to as far as F:44 to get the most DOF as possible. Another trick is to use a long ploe, such as a broomstick to grip in your left hand along with your camera and use that to support yourself from rocking back and forth while while trying to take a shot. It even helps when using it along with a mono pod too. I think that might be what happened on that one bee shot you were asking about the other day. I've had that happen lots of times.
Hope these tips help.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:30 PM   #7
Super Moderator

these look great simon.

i really like the selective focus in the first one. and purple flowers always look pleasing on a green backdrop.

#3 is my favorite. love the composition. the bee and yellow part of flower off to the right 1/3. the petals then radiating outward. you got the dof perfect on this one. the bee and important parts of the flowers are in focus with the other parts gradually blurring.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:42 PM   #8

great info goldwinger...... my monopod as arrived but havent tried it out yet and i have yet to try flash with macro outside my home.

thanks for your comments hards80
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
congrats on the first pic (i know just how hard it is getting insects in flight)
the butterfly is ok but not as good as the others youve posted
the last one is great, i really like it, just a thought but have you considered displaying it in portrait ?
I agree with Kazuya. Portrait for sure. Beautiful shot.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:02 PM   #10

#3 may be PP'd but that's one hell of a job you did there. Great composition and afterwork, Simon ! Great work, mate.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote